Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What Mohawk supplies do I need to stock?

to start redoing my radios. I have a Philco Jr. and a 37-611 in the cue at the moment, and plans for a 89B

What toners and solids should I keep in stock for these radios, and what are the other "handy" colors/ toners to have around.

Also final lacquer coat gloss or semi gloss?

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

Perfect brown shading laquer is a good one along with medium walnut and extra dark walnut, there are some newer shades that work even better from what I hear. I would go with gloss lacquer, it's harder then satin or semi gloss, and remeber that you will probably want to rub out the finish after your final coat of lacquer to get rid of any dust or orange peel.
Regards
Arran

I have been experimenting with both universal walnut and dark van dyke walnut for the portions that require dark walnut and have had some success with it. Extra dark walnut Ultra Classic works well too, but it gets very dark very fast.

Always spray light coats and gradually bring your cabinet to the shade of darkness that you want.

Also, I prefer the Ultra Classic Toners, as they are dye based and present the wood grain better. If you are purposely trying to cover somthing, then the Tone Finish toners are better, as they are pigment based.

TA Forbes Wrote:Always spray light coats and gradually bring your cabinet to the shade of darkness that you want.

That can't be stressed enough. If you put to much on to fast it will run, and once it runs its very hard to fix it without having to strip the toner off the peice and start over.

But that is the good thing about toners if you put it on and don't like it or it runs just wipe it off with acetone or laquer thinner and start again.

-Keith