Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 610 restoration questions

Thanks to everyone for their warm welcome to this Phorum ! I've now had a chance to poke around under the chassis of my 610 tombstone and there has been a fair amount of 'creative' repair work, as must be expected given how old it is *. Gradually I'm making sense of it, it seems that the foundations are sound, and I think it's going to be OK.

* there are pencil notes with dates and cost of repairs scribbled on the back, dating to 1942 and 1943

I do have a few questions before I get in over my head :

This radio does not have the rotating mask to blank out 2 of the 3 illuminated arrows on the tuning dial, depending on the band selected. The way it is, I'm going to get all 3 arrows illuminated at once. It does not seem as though the mask was ever there. Is that normal or has that been removed ? Maybe I've got the 'economy version' ?

Is there a default Wattage value for Philco resistors ? E.G. are they all 0.5W unless noted, or a similar idea ? I can only see 1 resistor with a noted rating, which is 0.5W, but some of those dogbones look pretty substantial, and most are way over the rated resistance, so I'll need to replace in many cases.

One of the bakelite capacitor blocks contains 2 x 0.0001100 UF capacitors - would you still replace these ? I have usually assumed that with such low value they would be mica types and then left them alone.

Any thoughts or advice would be most gratefully received !

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,
Yes 1/2 is the most common wattage rating. If it doesn't show a rating in the parts list it's a 1/2w job.
I believe that there isn't a mask for the arrows on the model 610.
I have run across a few bad ones over the years. Wouldn't hurt to replace them (2- 110mmfd)
Hope this is a help
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks for the guidance - slowly working my way through this - there's a lot that needs doing, although so far nothing very difficult (yet).

I just discovered there are known mistakes in the schematic diagram, so tonight I'm going to have to re-rewire the electrolytics. The chassis was so hacked about inside that I can't trust anything other than the factory data. Nobody to blame but myself though - it's right there in Riders in black and white. Should have read the small print !