Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Small Silvertone Phonograph

I have always thought these were neat and tried to get one off eBay several years ago. Sadly they always went kinda high. The ones I found around here were usually beat to death, missing lids, or partially crushed and in scrap hoppers due to their metal construction. Well, in an Amish antique shop of all things, I finally found a nice example![attachment=2][attachment=1][attachment=0]

Even the handle is in good shape and looks almost like new. It has a three tube amp inside and though needing some cleaning out, looks good inside. Shouldn't be expensive to redo. Recap job, new cartridge, maybe a little conditioning of the idler wheel. I just think these little guys are neat and it goes well with my 1948 Silvertone radio-phono-wire recorder console. Oh, gotta get the speaker reconed in that! Icon_problem

No matter where you go, there you are.

A little update, the phonograph is now working! Had the caps and electrolytics replaced and the motor lubed up. The cartridge is fine, anyone know what these cartridges are in the Silvertone phongraphs of this era? I have a couple and my friend has had several and they never seem to die. They can't be magnetic can they? Only issue is they use the cursed 'permanent' stylus. So, when the stylus wears out you have to replace the whole shot. Only other issue is the spindle acts too large for several 78's. I've never run into that issue before with a 78 rpm phonograph. Might have to take some fine grit sandpaper and polish the spindle some more.

No matter where you go, there you are.