Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Latest acquisition

Thanks to my friend Ed in Ohio, I now have this neat addition to the collection:

[Image: http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/images/1...age_00.jpg]

A Model 43B, from June 1932. Philco's first complete, all-in-one all-wave receiver.

Anyone else find anything new/neat/unusual in the Philco line lately?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Oooo! Beauty!

Hi All,
Nice radio Ron. A fine catch! At the end of July I picked up a Philco 90 for $65.00. A lot was wrong upon inspection. The (tiger stripe)? veneer is mostly gone but the rest is o.k. The primary on the first detector coil was open. The speaker field coil was open also. The filter choke along with the output transformer were open too. The tunning cap had to be cleaned also.The choke and output transformer were ordered from Radio Daze along with a #47 tube. The detector coil break was on the first loop. The speaker field I wound with #36 guage wire. I only had a little over a half pound which gave me 2600 ohms so I put a 10W 500 ohm resistor in series. You talk about tough getting the speaker core out! Wow. I drilled and tapped a 1/4 bolt to hold it in. After a rebuild of the cap blocks, a few resistors and electrolytics it plays great!!
Last friday the wife and I went back to the same place and there sat another 90! I got this one for $43.00. It rained here all day Saturday so I tore into this one. Not much wrong but a lot of recapping and resistors. hopefully I can power up tomorrow. The chassis has a lot of rust though. Will have to start cleaning after I get it playing.

Terry

Hmph! Some people have all the luck! Icon_biggrin

Great buys on your 90 sets. Now would you consider letting go of the rusty one? Icon_lol Just kidding of course. Congrats!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,
Thank you. I am kind of proud of them. By the way #2 is up and running Icon_lol

Terry

Now, another acquisition:

This set came from the Olney auction this past Sunday.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...ff/112.jpg]

It is a 112 Bel Geddes lowboy, has some minor veneer issues, and the knobs - well, two of the knobs are 1937-40 Philco, the tuning knob is from an RCA, and the off-on knob is missing. Cloth is not original. The chassis is the later version with push-pull Type 47 outputs (one of the Type 47 tubes is missing).

The price: $20. No-one bid against me. Oddly enough, other consoles brought more money than this one did.

A friend of mine says I "stole" this at the $20 price. What say you guys?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Dang...!!! Very nice catch. Icon_eek

Ron,
Your lucky I wasnt at that auction. Looks like its "philco season".
Nice finds!