Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

116X electrolytic voltage ratings

I want to order parts to redo my 1936 116X but the parts list does not give voltages for the electrolytics. It's very difficult to read the cans that are on the chassis but it appears that one says 8mfd 475v and the other says 8mfd 500v. Could that be correct? I've never run into electrolytics with voltages that high before and want to be sure of what I need. My suppliers electrolytics only go up to 450v. The other cans are unreadable. I'm hoping someone has done a 116X before and may have the information I need. A complete list of the electrolytics, with voltages, would be wonderful. Icon_biggrin

Thanks,
Larry

Justradios.com has 500V and 600V 10mFd caps.

Thanks. As near as I can tell there are 7 electrolytics in this chassis and I really need to know the voltage ratings for all of them. I don't want to put in a 500 volt lytic where a 25 volt should go, for instance. There are cost, size, and performance issues to take into account.

Larry

You'll never get in any trouble for replacing electrolytics with higher working voltages than the original, at least with regular radios and audio gear. Most of us only have higher voltage spares on hand and use them for everything. Pennies diference.

Higher voltage lytics run around $1.50 while 25v, for instance, run $.25. I don't relish having to put together a minimum order of, say $15, for higher priced lytics than I need, if I already have what I need in stock. In addition there is size to consider. 500v lytics are considerably larger making stuffing more difficult, if not impossible, especially in a 4 section can. I appreciate the responses but I'm looking for someone who has had actual experience on a 116X, no offense intended.

Larry

OK Larry

(103) 30-2123 = 8 uF, 475 WVDC and 10 uF, 100 WVDC
(104) 30-2011 = 8 uF, 500 WVDC

Info from the 1937 Philco parts catalog.

That said, some years ago when I was younger and more foolish (and did not yet have this data), I used 10 uF, 450 WVDC caps to replace the two 8 uF main filters, and got away with it. Which is not to say that you will, too. YMMV. I would go with the higher working voltage, especially with today's higher line voltages being a factor.

Where can you find 10 uF, 500 WVDC caps for $1.50? Just Radios sells them for $2.25. Radio Daze doesn't list 10 uF, 500 volt caps.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

duplicate

Forgot to mention:

(83) - 30-2121
1 uF @ 350 WVDC
1 uF @ 350 WVDC
2 uF @ 300 WVDC
3 uF @ 450 WVDC

Also from the 1937 Philco parts catalog.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

codefox1 Wrote:If you are already convinced you know what you are doing, why engage us?
I might ask why, if you have no actual experience on a 116X, do you get involved? What's so difficult about understanding the question? I was asking about the specifics of a 116X which Ron has so graciously supplied. Some others should be so gracious and helpful. Icon_confused

Thanks very much Ron, much appreciated.

Larry

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Where can you find 10 uF, 500 WVDC caps for $1.50? Just Radios sells them for $2.25. Radio Daze doesn't list 10 uF, 500 volt caps.
Sorry Ron, I was quoting 450v lytics from Joe's just as a comparison of costs between high voltage and low voltage caps and electrolytics. Just Radios has a $15 minimum order plus about $6 postage. Joe has no minimum order and charges less for postage.

Larry

For what you paid for that radio, I wouldnt be too concerned about the cost of a few e caps!

When you're on a fixed income (Soc. Sec.) and haven't had an increase in two years you tend to watch your pennies and not spend money foolishly.

Larry

I hear you, I don't have much coming in either. So a couple of sets at a time as is my hobby cross the bench at a time and I am well aware of the demon shipping, so I tend to try keeping spares at a minimum. No other agenda.

Yeah, I was hoping to make it through to the Kutztown show before having to replenish the kitty. With what I've spent over the past few weeks it looks like I'll have to offer up some of my projects before then. I hate to but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Larry