Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 90 Have questions about silver mica caps

Making good progress. Tightened all loose trimmer cap screws and anything else I could find loose. Hit every solder connection to try to eliminate cold solder joints. Think I got them all. Tested all tubes on my TV-7D/U tube tester. Tested for shorts, gas, etc. All strong.  The 90 now turns on right away, with good reception unlike first post where I had 15 minutes of rushing thunderstorm sound with almost no reception.  However, even though it is playing ok, now hearing rushing noise every 10 minutes or so. It starts, builds up a bit lasts about 5 seconds and ends with a slight pop, and is gone. This pattern seems to repeat . What is also happening is the volume will drop, but not at the same time as the rushing.  With these things occurring however, I never completely loose reception.  With the volume drop, if i touch any part of the chassis with a screwdriver (could be grid caps, ground point, even turning the station tone knob, the volume comes back for a while. Any further thoughts at this point? Want to mention that the 90 is aligned just about dead on now.

Messages In This Thread