Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Set screw removal

Maybe this is a silly question, but I haven't needed to do this before. The set screws I'm used to dealing with always had a screw slot on the end. These just have a rectangular stub

[Image: http://www.highsierrahosting.com/philco/setscrew.jpg]

Is there a good way/tool to use to back these out? As you can see, access is limited.

-Bill

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana

I've used needle nose pliers on those types of set screws before, which is probably the wrong tool to use. I am not aware of any special tool for these; would like to know about it if there is something better than needle nose pliers.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Had some of these strange screws now and then, and can recall somereally bizarre ones in an ancient Apple computer. Got them out by whatever means needed and replaced them with screws of the same type, but with a slot filed on the end so they could be removed........by a screwdriver. I know I'm simple.

I use needle nose pliers as well, works just fine. Why bother with a tool that serves only one function in life when you already have a tool that can do so much more? That's just my two cents worth.
Dave

I also use needle nose pliers on these.

Looks like station/light selector on a Mystery control set (39-116/55). If it is ohh what fun those are to work on with all that rotten rubber wiring. Icon_smile

-Keith

Thanks for the advice guys. I put the needle noses on these set screws and got nowhere, they're really on tight and I couldn't get much leverage. The good news is that I must have broken loose some crud in the system by trying and things are working almost normally now!
You're right Keith, I'm working on a 39-116 and was having trouble getting the secondary ratchet to return. Works most of the time now except when the spring is fully extended- it's a little slow coming around. You're right about the wiring too. I've replaced probably 70-80% of it so far. The worst were the leads from the power transformer, which literally turned to dust when I brushed against them!

-Bill

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana

there is/was a tool for this and would look something like a shock absorber socket, but much smaller:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...ir=catalog

The best I have come up with is a tiny crescent wrench (4") since the jaws are parallel you can get a better fit to loosen it, but they are easy to break as well. Icon_eek

John
Las Vegas, NV USA