Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philconet

This is the suburbs..My name is Philco (Philly)...I'm a collector... 9:55 AM Saturday morning February 3rd, I was starting my typical morning beat when a report came in via Craig's list regarding a potential Philco console at a local used furniture store. I decided to investigate. 11:25 AM. I arrive at CRG furniture inside Kutztown. Apparently it was a converted knitting mill from the 50's and 60's and now sold used household items, the kind of stuff you would see at a Goodwill store in 1975, depression era dressers, couches from the 60's, chairs and end tables that I haven't seen since I watched episodes of "All in the Family", that sort of thing. The place was relatively well kept with items set up as they would have been in someone's bedroom or living room from that era .....After seeing the sales clerk " Andy", he led me to the suspected console from the 40's. The area was just at the rear of the counter, it was full of old washers and dryers, tape decks and stereo's from Kenwood and Fisher, the kind of stuff you had forgotten that you had once owned. The console was gorgeous in near mint condition, the kind of console you knew that you had to have even though you didn't have room for it. I decided to take her in for questioning but first I had to haggle a little on the price of 85.00. I was able to bring her in for 70.00 plus 4.20 sales tax (it's the law). After I got her back to my station I did a background check. It was a model 41-290X eight push button standard broadcast, shortwave, police band radio not a rare model but exceptionally attractive. A further check would reveal that she had priors, bad tuning string, bad caps, dry rotted power cord. After I addressed those items I decided to book her on charges of 110 volts, she began to talk, sounded like a conservative talk station in Buffalo. After a more detailed cleaning and a new front cover plate, she will be remanded to my radio collection. On February 13th a hearing was held in my superior court. She will receive a life sentence in my collection..... The story you just heard was true the capacitors were changed to protect the circuitry.....

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

No matter where you go, there you are.

Dis the wax caps man Icon_lol

Shhhhh! Now everybody will know about CRG! Nice pickup.

Larry

I hope you gave her a very long sentence!

Those cabinets are a sort of refreshing departure from a lot of them in those days. And, while the set was no gift, by a long shot, it was a decent deal.

Now, a someone has already said, replace all of the wax paper capacitors in it, lest the filter caps short, and take out the power transformer. From that point, it gets messy.