Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 60 coils

(04-02-2012, 01:39 PM)sjhs1962 Wrote:  On the antena coil, the primary is the inserted coil inside the tube and the secondary has the three taps. I am wondering if it is necessary to rewind the .7 sw coil since it doesn't function for the most part?

It's part of the tuned circuit and alignment of the bands will be off with out that inductance.

Chuck

Hey sjhs1962,

Check out this youtube video series. 60 chassis restoration 101, by one of the BEST.Icon_smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSpm5KfDW...V1nRbDY%3D

14 part video everything you wanted to know about 60 series chassis. I have watched this through, maybe 3 times now & learn something new each time. You master this chassis (Philco's most common) & all others don't look so daunting.

Part 9 maybe be the most interest to your problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAjrJ8Kn5...Agk753g%3D

Lochmiester also has a set of videos out there on a 16B & a 116 chassis. Lot's of good info to follow along with.

I never get tired of watching these guys & forever in their debt for helping this Noob learn.Icon_biggrin

Hope this helps,
Lloyd

Ooohhh Noooo, What’s the Matter NOW?? It WAS Working GREAT before I “FIXED
IT”!!

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the series. I spent way more time and effort than normal on this set because I wanted to try out just about every tip and trick I had read about. Replicating dogbone resistors for example. Absolutely not necessary, but now I feel ready to take on rarer and more complicated sets Icon_smile

Thanks for help and comments. I rewound primary of osc coil and had one station only across the dial. Then I worked with the trimmers and got several stations mainly at the higher frequencies. I then did an alignment per the instructions. I am a newbe but I think I did it correctly. And suprise...I lost the stations I had. So I guess I'll try to retune station by adjusting the trimmers. Any thoughts?

If you're only getting one station across the dial, it sounds to me like the oscillator isn't running. Can you check the voltages or put a scope on the 6A7 ?

Banersen: I also appreciate your videos...great job. Now getting stations across the dial. I could use a bit more volume on the lower side and in general. My voltages are higher than normal, about 330 vdc on the plates, but doesn't seem to be a problem so far??? The key was adjusting the trimmers which were critical. My attempt at alignment was not too successful and I may try it again. I had the DDM on the voice coil, perhaps I try the plate of the output tube.

Cool. I imagine using a DMM can be a bit tricky when peaking coils versus an analog meter.

Well both of my model 60' s are working. However, one of the speakers doesn't work due to bad output transformer. I believe there is a fix using and cap and resistor. Anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks.

No you will need to replace the transformer. Your looking for a 7000 ohm to 4 ohm transformer.
Terry

(03-21-2012, 06:38 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  And make sure that oscillator feedback winding is wound counterclockwise!

Ron I got the coil re wound. Is 34 wire OK and 17 turns CCW. Ive got the radio working but NO stations from 1170 down. Not any static or anything??

John

Sounds like you need a few more turns on the feedback winding. Did you count 17 when you removed it?
Terry