Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 118 Cathedral

Hi;
I may have found a Philco 118 cathedral for sale locally but have not had a chance to look at it yet. I have a model 3118 tombstone set, which is a Canadian model, and know of the American shouldered tombstone version but have never come across a 118 in a cathedral cabinet. Does anyone own one of these or did they used to own one of these? Are the cathedral versions on the rare side because this is the first I've heard of one? Hopefully the price is reasonable, on paper it's a nice enough set but this one is not in operating condion.
Regards
Arran

Hi Arran

The 118B cathedrals are not what I would call "rare" down here in the States. Last year I acquired one with a cabinet that had a hole in one side, found - and bought - a good empty cabinet on eBay, and now I see an even better cabinet is on eBay (but I won't be bidding). I gave the problem cabinet to another collector who is going to repair the damaged side and install an 18 chassis, I think.

In the USA, in my opinion, a 118B cathedral is no harder to find than a 118B shouldered tombstone. The cathedral is the earlier of the two versions, both are from the 1935 season (June 1934 - April 1935).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron;
To be honest I don't know where he got this radio, it may be an American model that he or somebody else brought into Canada. I don't know if Philco of Canada produced a 118B cathedral, likely denoted as a 3118B if they had, that may explain why I haven't seen one up until now, I don't think that the shouldered tombstones were made up here just the rectangular ones. If it is an American set, and isn't uncommon, then I will pass if the price turns out to be something stupid like $400-500+.
Thanks
Regards
Arran

(02-29-2012, 01:40 AM)Arran Wrote:  Hi;
I may have found a Philco 118 cathedral for sale locally but have not had a chance to look at it yet. I have a model 3118 tombstone set, which is a Canadian model, and know of the American shouldered tombstone version but have never come across a 118 in a cathedral cabinet. Does anyone own one of these or did they used to own one of these? Are the cathedral versions on the rare side because this is the first I've heard of one? Hopefully the price is reasonable, on paper it's a nice enough set but this one is not in operating condion.
Regards
Arran

Hi Arran,
I have a 118 cathedral that I bought about 4 yrs ago at a local flea market for I think about $115. It was the first time I had seen one and haven't come across another. I think it's a very attractive set. I just had it on my bench as a possible next project, but it lost out to a 91 cathedral.
Kevin

(02-29-2012, 08:25 PM)37silverstreak Wrote:  
(02-29-2012, 01:40 AM)Arran Wrote:  Hi;
Regards
Arran

Hi Arran,
I have a 118 cathedral that I bought about 4 yrs ago at a local flea market for I think about $115. It was the first time I had seen one and haven't come across another. I think it's a very attractive set. I just had it on my bench as a possible next project, but it lost out to a 91 cathedral.
Kevin

Kevin;
That was pretty much in line with what I would consider paying for one, between maybe $100 with $175 at the top end in as is condition. The last cathedral I bought was a Canadian G.E J82 and I paid $150 for it, not a huge bargain as it needs an electrical restoration and things like the tubes shields and the chassis mounts, needed the knobs too but I have those. I like Canadian G.E sets anyhow, CGE and Philco are the number one and number two brands in my collection in terms of quantity with the G.Es currently in the lead.
Regards
Arran