Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

39-116 Found?

Hello Again;
I think that I may have found a 39-116, either that or a 39-3116, it's the same party who has the 118 cathedral. I will need to look at it to be sure, it may be a 1940 or 41 version of the set. Apparently the set does not play but still has the "Mystery Control" box with it, I don't think that adds much of a premium from what I read. Hopefully he doesn't have some delusional price in mind, hopefully it's the Canadian version without the crappy rubber wire. I don't know how much of performer these sets are, I gather that three or four tubes are dedicated to the remote control system and that the rest is pretty mundane.
Regards
Arran

Hi Arran

The 39-116 has five tubes dedicated to Mystery Control processing, the other seven run the main portion of the radio. Plus an 80 rectifier, to make a total of 13 tubes.

Actually, I would think having the original Mystery Control with the radio would be a plus. The controls have often become separated from the radios over the decades.

Yes, if you get it, it will be good if it is a Canadian 39-3116 so you won't have to experience the headache of rubber-covered wiring. I think I am finally going to start restoring my 41-616 next week; wish me luck! Icon_think Icon_crazy

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(03-02-2012, 08:02 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Yes, if you get it, it will be good if it is a Canadian 39-3116 so you won't have to experience the headache of rubber-covered wiring.

Ohh come on Ron, it's so much fun sitting there for hours and hours re-wiring a set.Icon_rolleyes Icon_biggrin

-Keith

(03-02-2012, 02:23 PM)ipwizard Wrote:  Ohh come on Ron, it's so much fun sitting there for hours and hours re-wiring a set.Icon_rolleyes Icon_biggrin

I know. Been there, done that multiple times, and as I said in my previous post, I'm getting ready to do all of that again in a 41-616 - miles and miles of the stuff. Icon_mad

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

So Is 1938 was the last year for philco to have a HiFi '116? The '39 has the bells and whistles but lofi. The end of a great model.
Terry

7estatdef Wrote:So Is 1938 was the last year for philco to have a HiFi '116?

Yes, unfortunately.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(03-02-2012, 08:02 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Hi Arran

The 39-116 has five tubes dedicated to Mystery Control processing, the other seven run the main portion of the radio. Plus an 80 rectifier, to make a total of 13 tubes.

Actually, I would think having the original Mystery Control with the radio would be a plus. The controls have often become separated from the radios over the decades.

Yes, if you get it, it will be good if it is a Canadian 39-3116 so you won't have to experience the headache of rubber-covered wiring. I think I am finally going to start restoring my 41-616 next week; wish me luck! Icon_think Icon_crazy

Having the control would be a plus most certainly but unlike many remote controls, like the RCA ones for example, they do turn up fairly regularly on fleabay. The RCA remotes had a cable and socket but unlike the Philco ones they were an extra cost accessory not included with the radio so they are quite rare. As I said I'm not sure that it is a 1939 model as yet, some people get confused since the 1940 versions look similar. I wouldn't necessarily call a 39-116 Low Fi, they still have a push pull power output stage, in my experience that makes a difference over a single ended output in just about any set, although if only seven tubes are dedicated to the radio receiver it is a bit of a step backward in that direction, I noticed that the later Mystery Control sets bumped the actual radio tube count up over the 39-116s. A wireless remote control is a pretty remarkable feature considering the set is from 1939, to the layman that comes off as much more impressive then a set of accoustical resonators whose functionality is questioned even among enthusiests. I have to wonder, if the resonators did anything how come Philco did away with them in 1938 and never brought them back? The only thing I have seen made by someone else with something like an acoustical resonator since Philco dropped the idea was a pair of Japanese stereo speakers from the 70's.
Regards
Arran

Arran:

You're going to like that 39-116. Indeed, it was a big step down from the 38-116 and indeed, the 38-690. The glorious radios disappeared for the 1939 model year.

Don't wanna break any hearts here, but quite a few years ago, when I was still living in Detroit, a neighbor in the next block had set a 39-119, intact, on the curb. I was driving a '63 Cadillac DeVille, and the trunk was plenty big, so in it went, and I stopped at my garage building, and dropped the set off. Now, ain't that a neat way to get a radio collection??

No problem with the remote, 'cause I had 5 or 6 laying around at the time.

(03-03-2012, 12:30 AM)Doug Houston Wrote:  Arran:

You're going to like that 39-116. Indeed, it was a big step down from the 38-116 and indeed, the 38-690. The glorious radios disappeared for the 1939 model year.

Don't wanna break any hearts here, but quite a few years ago, when I was still living in Detroit, a neighbor in the next block had set a 39-119, intact, on the curb. I was driving a '63 Cadillac DeVille, and the trunk was plenty big, so in it went, and I stopped at my garage building, and dropped the set off. Now, ain't that a neat way to get a radio collection??

No problem with the remote, 'cause I had 5 or 6 laying around at the time.

My main problem with this set and the 118B I mentioned in another thread is the current owner/seller. I think I may have crossed paths with him a few years ago, and while I didn't have bad relations with the guy he was a government employee and I think he has adopted many of their bad habits. I've been trying to book an appointment with the guy for a week to view what he has, but replies to my emails at 6:30 in the morning picking an asinine time for the same day, like 10 am.
What I mean about bad habits is that he thinks I have to work around what he wants to do and that whatever anyone else wants to do doesn't matter. Well it may work that way in the government but in the "real world" people just can't rework their entire day around an email message sent at 6:30 in the morning the same day. The good news is if he is playing email tag with me he is probably doing it with anyone else who asks.
Regards
Arran

I snagged a wireless remote off Fleabay about six months ago or so for a total of $35, including shipping. In good shape, too. They're out there.