Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 47-1230 Asbestos?

Does anyone know if the black insulation the back cover for the 47-1230 is that asbestos or fiberglass?

(03-02-2012, 12:56 AM)ILM75Dodge Wrote:  Does anyone know if the black insulation the back cover for the 47-1230 is that asbestos or fiberglass?

If it's black then it's more then likely some sort of cardboard or fiber board, asbestos is usaully white or grey in colour. If it's a braided sleeve that slips over a wire I think that those are made out of something like cellonese or cotton, not asbestos.
Regards
Arran

OK sorry if my question seemed confusing, I was referring to the black insulation pads glued on the the inside of the cardboard back cover. I assume its for sound since its not near the chassis so it doesn't deal with any heat.

(03-02-2012, 01:47 PM)ILM75Dodge Wrote:  OK sorry if my question seemed confusing, I was referring to the black insulation pads glued on the the inside of the cardboard back cover. I assume its for sound since its not near the chassis so it doesn't deal with any heat.

If it's for sound it may be some form of rock wool, it was common to use that for sound deadening insulation in those days, it still is for that matter. Rock wool is made from rock slag leftover from steel plants, there isn't any asbestos in it as far as I know?
Regards
Arran

Thanks! I just needed some peace of mind!

(03-03-2012, 12:50 PM)ILM75Dodge Wrote:  Thanks! I just needed some peace of mind!

Any doubt, take outside, wet down, remove, put in plasic bag, dispose of responsibly (check local code,) and if it was an acoustic muffler, you can replace with a piece of loacally approved insulation material, of which you can easily get for the asking once you state your case.