Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I really want to understand old radios.

(03-10-2012, 12:13 PM)codefox1 Wrote:  Old Police band is useless. Get rest of set to work.

Thanks, Thought so, since it is 1700 KC up.

Set does work, just weak. I was just thinking out loud that if I can't glue the band selector back together to just by-pass it to AM.

lyle

I may not be very good, but I'm slow.

(03-10-2012, 11:58 AM)lyle Wrote:  
(03-10-2012, 07:44 AM)7estatdef Wrote:  
(03-09-2012, 11:55 PM)TA Forbes Wrote:  Hello, Lyle: I would be glad to offer any assistance that I can, but I must tell you that there are MANY fellows here on the Phorum that are WAY better radio guys than me. What I especially like about this site is the people that contribute to it. Here you have a valuable resource for radio questions.

I'm definitely NOT an expert on wimmen, as two divorces and numerous failed relationships will attest. In fact, I don't even call my ex-wives by their name any more, I just call 'em both "plaintiff."

So wimmen questions are best left for others.

I discovered that the volume control I need was used in several Philco sets, including the 20, 46, and 70. I also discovered that the 1st IF transformer was open, so now I am searching for one of these too....
Hey Tom
I can probably help you out with the volume control from a mdl 20.
Terry
No worries, TA, I don't know enough to ask hard questions. I made a discovery of my own. This Philco 60 has a break in the phenolic wafer of the Band Selector. It is now in two pieces on my bench. It's been suggested I use super glue. Finding a replacement probably won't be easy.
If I can't fix it maybe I can just by-pass it to the AM band. I don't think there really is a police band left.

lyle

You could bypass the switch to make it work but on these sets the lower end of the old police band is the top end of the AM broadcast band. The old AM broadcast band stopped at 1500 KC, the current one goes to 1700 KC, so to get stations above 1500 you need the police band working on a Philco 60.
If you want to learn about old radios there is a book out there called "Elements of Radio Servicing" by Marcus and Levy, it's out of print but there are a lot of copies still out there.
Regards
Arran

(03-10-2012, 08:37 PM)Arran Wrote:  
(03-10-2012, 11:58 AM)lyle Wrote:  
(03-10-2012, 07:44 AM)7estatdef Wrote:  
(03-09-2012, 11:55 PM)TA Forbes Wrote:  Hello, Lyle: I would be glad to offer any assistance that I can, but I must tell you that there are MANY fellows here on the Phorum that are WAY better radio guys than me. What I especially like about this site is the people that contribute to it. Here you have a valuable resource for radio questions.

I'm definitely NOT an expert on wimmen, as two divorces and numerous failed relationships will attest. In fact, I don't even call my ex-wives by their name any more, I just call 'em both "plaintiff."

So wimmen questions are best left for others.

I discovered that the volume control I need was used in several Philco sets, including the 20, 46, and 70. I also discovered that the 1st IF transformer was open, so now I am searching for one of these too....
Hey Tom
I can probably help you out with the volume control from a mdl 20.
Terry
No worries, TA, I don't know enough to ask hard questions. I made a discovery of my own. This Philco 60 has a break in the phenolic wafer of the Band Selector. It is now in two pieces on my bench. It's been suggested I use super glue. Finding a replacement probably won't be easy.
If I can't fix it maybe I can just by-pass it to the AM band. I don't think there really is a police band left.

lyle

You could bypass the switch to make it work but on these sets the lower end of the old police band is the top end of the AM broadcast band. The old AM broadcast band stopped at 1500 KC, the current one goes to 1700 KC, so to get stations above 1500 you need the police band working on a Philco 60.
If you want to learn about old radios there is a book out there called "Elements of Radio Servicing" by Marcus and Levy, it's out of print but there are a lot of copies still out there.
Regards
Arran

Thanks Arran. I have a copy of 'Essentials of Radio' by Slurzberg & Osterheld, printed in 1948. Got it on ebay. Will look for 'Elements...'

I did repair the band selector switch today with superglue and epoxy. What a relief.Icon_thumbup

Thanks again,

lyle

The police band on a 60 is 1.5 MHz to 4.0MHz. Arran is right, the top end of modern AM broadcast band is "police band" on your set.

You can still pick up some "interesting" shortwave programs with the police band available on your model 60.

OK, I'll bite. What do you mean by "interesting?"

lyle

Some foreign french and spainish programs, some Christian broadcasts including one fellow who claims to be a modern day prophet, (I am a Christian, FYI), Voice of America, and a broadcast that is Conspiracy Theory oriented.

Your antenna system will detirmine what you are able to pull up.

Well, TA, I do have a 90 foot long wire. I get Australia and Romania pretty easily on my home-brew 1-tube Regen. So, it should be interesting. Hoping I get the conspiracy Theory one. Have a SONY SW, but haven't gotten anything that interesting. I'm not a Christian, quit the Catholic church at age twelve on the day of my confirmation. That's the day Catholics confirm their faith. Ironic huh?

lyle

Wilco, Codefox1

Thanks,

lyle