Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I really want to understand old radios.

(03-05-2012, 02:41 PM)TA Forbes Wrote:  Hello, Lyle: You don't have to be a rocket scientest to work on old radios, but it helps. I have been collecting since the '60s, and although I did take calculus and calculus-based physics courses, much of my life (25 years) was spent in the Marine Infantry. You don't learn a lot of electronics there.

So I am pretty much self taught. My advice is to read and listen. Get a good handle on what you know and don't know. This will change as your knowledge grows. Seek out the real experts, listen to them, and be worthy of their company. One of my mentors is an expert named Bob Timms, the knowledge I have gained from him has been tremendous.

Look at the articles here and in the Philco Repair Bench site. Ron's resto projects will give you some lofty goals to shoot for, as he does some amazing chassis work.

Look at many sites for parts. Personally, I use justradios.com for my resistor and capacitor needs, but there are many sources out there. Prices will vary in accordance with the voltage rating, power rating, etc......

Thanks, TA,

Good, solid advice. You mean the Marines didn't teach you to field strip a radio? LOL
Appreciate your advice and especially your service. Thank you. I'm ex-Navy-Vietnam. A long time ago.

Thanks, again

lyle

I may not be very good, but I'm slow.

Messages In This Thread
I really want to understand old radios. - by lyle - 03-03-2012, 03:16 PM
RE: I really want to understand old radios. - by lyle - 03-05-2012, 07:23 PM