Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-630 veneer question

I am currently working on a 37-630 table model.
I need to replace or patch the thin veneer strips(3 of them) and I am having trouble getting a color match.
Does anyone know what the color was or should I use something close of my choice?
Thanks

Hello: not sure what you mean here. The 3 "bars" over the speaker?

Usually what is done is a veneer repair and then toner is sprayed to blend the repair to the rest of the surface being sprayed.

On my 630 I had to replace some of the grillework veneer. In order to match the very dark wood "stripes" that go down the center, I first sprayed with clear and then very carefully drew the black lines with a sharpie. THEN I toned over the whole thing. Unless you examine it very carefully, you cannot tell. The reason I sprayed with clear first was to prevent the ink from soaking into the dry wood in the repair and spreading farther than I wanted it to.

(03-05-2012, 02:48 PM)TA Forbes Wrote:  Hello: not sure what you mean here. The 3 "bars" over the speaker?
Ther
Usually what is done is a veneer repair and then toner is sprayed to blend the repair to the rest of the surface being sprayed.

On my 630 I had to replace some of the grillework veneer. In order to match the very dark wood "stripes" that go down the center, I first sprayed with clear and then very carefully drew the black lines with a sharpie. THEN I toned over the whole thing. Unless you examine it very carefully, you cannot tell. The reason I sprayed with clear first was to prevent the ink from soaking into the dry wood in the repair and spreading farther than I wanted it to.

There are 3 light strips of veneer that go from the dial around the cabinet to the back. They are cracked with pieces missing on mine.
Thanks

(03-05-2012, 07:22 PM)zimmy1 Wrote:  
(03-05-2012, 02:48 PM)TA Forbes Wrote:  Hello: not sure what you mean here. The 3 "bars" over the speaker?
Ther

There are 3 light strips of veneer that go from the dial around the cabinet to the back. They are cracked with pieces missing on mine.
Thanks

Is this a 37-630T or a 37-630B? If it's the 37-630T I think it's plain old maple veneer, or boxwood, or possibly holly, but probably maple since its cheap. A little tricky to replace but it shouldn't be too bad as it's a a stright piece, if it's coming off around the curve I would recommend removing a larger section and replacing well past the curved area, if not the whole strip. Plain maple, or any maple veneer, is pretty easy to find on fleabay in pretty much any quantity.
Regards
Arran

Good point, Arran! I assumed that it was a 630B!