Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 90 Filter Cap Can Question?

I took in a Philco 90 in today (single 47 output tube) and this fella would like to have original filter cap cans put on it if possible. He brought one with him that he says is for this set. This can is solid copper, verified that with a magnet but I don't think it's an original can for this set. Has a part #60054 on it that I don't find on the paperwork for this radio. Here's a picture of the copper can.
[Image: http://www.speakeasyradios.com/yahoo_sit...13_std.jpg]
Is this an original can for this set? If not where would I possibly obtain two cans that are for this set?

Thanks,
Pepper

Attached Files Image(s)

"It's Nice To Be Nice To The Nice"
Major Frank Burns Mash 4077th

Hello, yes, copper "mershon" caps were on the Philco 90 sets. Most of them have since been replaced by other varieties.

On the model 90 with a single 47 output tube, one mershon negative side is chassis ground, but the other one is not. There is a special gasket and copper base for this, with an insulated grommet that passes through the chassis for the negative side of the mershon. The ~1/4 inch hole between one of the electrolytics and the 27 tube is where this would go. If you intend to re-stuff the mershons, this is important.

If they are there for looks, then it is not an issue.

Thank you! I was doing some digging around on the internet and found a Philco 90 that had these cans on it. Does the top of this can come off? It doesn't appear to have been soldered on. I ask because I'd like to restuff this one and hopefully find another one to restuff. I really like things original. The bottom of this one has what appears to be a bakelite base with the threads on it for the nut. So I can't go in through the bottom.

Pepper

Refer to this link from the Philco Repair Bench site. It is exactly how I re-stuff them. The only thing I do differently is, after the mershon is "gutted," I try to gently tap the metal screw through the plastic insulation until it falls out. Be careful, as it is very soft metal. If I can do this, I clean the inside end with a small wire brush, drill a small hole through it, and secure/solder the positive end of the replacement cap to it. This allows you to re-stuff without drilling a hole in the plastic for the positive end of your replacement cap.

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip45.htm

Thanks! That's great material. All I need now is one more cap can. Put an ad in the classifieds. See what happens.

Thanks,
Pepper