Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sparks-Withington

I have a S-W Spartan Jr. Model 400 (according to the chassis plate.) I understand the S-W Models 410/420 are identical or darn close. I do not have the schematic. Looking the unit over I notice the covers on the main power xfrmr have been removed and several wires were crudely spliced to the winding, one has fallen off and it is virtually impossible to resolder it.

Are these transformers still available or am I out of luck. Also where is the power on/off switch. The volume control does not appear to serve double duty as volume/power on/off ??

I had an exchange with another forum member Bandersen who has restored one of these radios (beautiful job).

Here's a detailed write up of my restoration project: http://mail.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=247842

The power switch on mine is a toggle mounted through a hole in the side of the cabinet. However, there is a mounting bracket on the volume pot and a little wire stub that can flick the toggle. I have also seen other Spartons where the switch is mounted on the pot. I did some experimenting and found it wasn't that reliable as sometimes the wire would slip over the toggle and not switch it. I suspect that's why it was mounted on the side.
[Image: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3390/4607...a053_b.jpg]

Thanks, that is an interesting arrangement, primitive but functional. I'll have to check my radion to see if that apparatus is there. I believe a while back you asked if my chassis had 815 tubes - nope didn't see any. Thanks again.

Actually I asked it it had a pair of 183 or 483 output tubes. Those are very hard to find so I had to slightly modify mine to use 71As.

(03-11-2012, 12:36 AM)bandersen Wrote:  Actually I asked it it had a pair of 183 or 483 output tubes. Those are very hard to find so I had to slightly modify mine to use 71As.

Oops meant 183's - I'll have to look and see exactly what tubes are present. Sent Stephen Johnson a note to see if he has the schematic for this radio..cheers

BTW a pair of 183s just sold for a bit over $200 Icon_eek

I hope you got lucky and have a good pair.