Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Electrolytic Can Caps

Folks:

Came across a bunch of new old stock Philco branded stud-mount aluminum can caps. Checking the part number on the Repair Bench site, I can't identify them.

Nine are marked 30-2511S, 40mf@450v, and five are marked 30-2368S, 18mf@475v.

Application? Value? Any chance they're still serviceable, or shall I assume they're restuff candidates?

Mike Koste
Gobs of Knobs
Zucksville, PA

I wouldn't trust anything that old, but yes, you could re-stuff them.

Definitely would not trust them. As Dave Cantelon once said, "Would you drive your antique car on NOS 70 year old tires?"

Can't find the 30-2511, but in the 1941 Philco parts catalog, the 30-2368 is listed at 18 uF, 475 WVDC.

Agree with all in that I wouldn't use them. But, yes, they would make great restuff candidates. Just be mindful of that boric acid solution - it won't hurt you if you get it on your skin, but it will squirt out if the seals on the can are still in halfway decent shape.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

And since you mentioned seals. We call various forms of gaskets and o-rings "seals," but we never see seals basking in the sun or swimming in the ocean and call them gaskets or o-rings.

And why do we say that a door is "ajar," but we never say that a jar is a door.

Why, why, why......? Icon_neutral

Other then as candidates for restuffing they are somewhat interesting as a curiosity if they still have their original packaging. They could be put to use but the contents would very likely find some way of leaking or drying out if they haven't done so already.
Regards
Arran

(03-15-2012, 11:05 PM)TA Forbes Wrote:  And since you mentioned seals. We call various forms of gaskets and o-rings "seals," but we never see seals basking in the sun or swimming in the ocean and call them gaskets or o-rings.

And why do we say that a door is "ajar," but we never say that a jar is a door.

Why, why, why......? Icon_neutral
Ok they should be called packings. Buy I've never seen one fill a suitcase either. Icon_lol

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

(03-15-2012, 08:45 AM)ekimetsok Wrote:  Folks:

Came across a bunch of new old stock Philco branded stud-mount aluminum can caps. Checking the part number on the Repair Bench site, I can't identify them.

Nine are marked 30-2511S, 40mf@450v, and five are marked 30-2368S, 18mf@475v.

Application? Value? Any chance they're still serviceable, or shall I assume they're restuff candidates?

Just so no one gets confused:

mF (a millifarad) = 1000uF=0.001F
18mF is 18,000uF

So you probably meant 40uF and 18uf (microfarads) respectively.
They were not making this size caps in millifarads back then Icon_smile

(Not that it matters in this case - you're going to restuff them anyway Icon_biggrin )

Whew! This thread went south in a hurry didn't it!!? Mike, I'm still interested in purchasing a full matching set of original Crosley model 516 bakelite knobs if you ever have any? ( The full Set),... If you know what these knobs are, and ever find any: hit me up at: www.texasvintageaudio.com
Best Regards always!! ol' Tex.