Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another Philco rookie joins the Phorum

Hello Philco Phorum, my name is Bob and I live just outside Cincinnati Ohio. I decided to begin collecting Philco radios mainly due to the great amount of reference material available for restoring them, and also I enjoy some of the wonderful designs Philco produced. This site has been a fantastic help to me. I've quickly obtained models' 53-560, 53-956, a model 37-60, a model 84, a model 41-285 which I'm restoring the cabinet before winter, and my latest acquisition and pride and joy a model 37-620 CS "chairside" in which I believe I saw that only 3500 were made. The only cosmetic item the 37-620 CS needs is the trim ring. If anyone could steer me toward one of those trim rings, that would be great. I'm really learning everything from scratch, with no electronic or radio background, but I'm a fast learner, and just need experience. RON, if you happen to read this post, I have a question. You recently said you took delivery of a Philco from Ed in Ohio. Does this gentleman live in Miamisburg Oh? If so, I've met him while scouring a local antique mall, he's a great guy, and very patient and helpful to me, he said he's met you. I have one other FYI for anyone living around Cincinnati. There's a local store that sells Mohawk brand toners and lacquers loosely by the can for around $5.00 each. The store's name is Cincinnati Color on route 4, Fairfield, Oh. It's great, there's no minimum order to buy. That's about it for now, thanks Ron for this great site, and I hope to hear from some of you out there in the Phorum soon. Sincerely, BOBC

Hi BOBC,

Welcome to the Phorum. I am in Charleston, W.Va., not far from you. Glad to hear of a Philco fan in Cincinnatti, most radio hobbyists I know of in your area of fans of Crosley. And understandably so, as Powell Crosley built some great radios in Cincinnati and was a real pioneer in radio and television broadcasting. But better than that, he built the Cincinnati Reds which most of us over in Charleston follow almost as a home-town baseball team.

Sounds like you have acquired some nice radios, especially that 37-620 chairside. Sorry I can't help on the trim ring but maybe others here on the Phorum will have ideas for a source.

Poston

Yes, welcome Bob. Good to have another Philco Phriend here in the Phorum. ;)

That 1937 chairside is a nice unique model.

Hi BOBC, and please allow me to welcome you also!

In response to your question, Ed lives in Newark, and is indeed a great fellow (and a Phorum member). Icon_smile Can't recall anyone in Miamisburg but I've met so many in the hobby that I can't remember them all.

Now I have a question for you. Did you acquire your 37-620CS at the Heart of Ohio antique mall (Springfield)? I saw one in there last year but they wanted around $350+ for it, as I recall. It's probably still there, right? Icon_wink

That is great news about the Mohawk availability in Fairfield. Too bad more stores across the country don't sell the stuff...

Finally, sorry, I can't help you on the trim ring either, but these things have a tendency to pop up on eBay and at swap meets.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Actually Ron, I've heard of the Heart of Ohio antique mall(s), but I found my 37-620 CS at a local antique mall called The Brass Armidillo. If you can believe it the vendor was using the radio as a display table covered with a wool blanket. The only part showing was the grill cloth on one end. The tag said $120.00, but I couldn't buy it that day, so one week later I returned expecting it to be gone of course, but luckily it was still there and now only $90.00 !! Was that a decent price? I have 2 quick questions. 1. Is the proper grill cloth pattern for my 41-285 console shown on the grill cloth HQ website, the old one is so faded, I can't tell it's original color. 2. Did Philco use the same trim ring on other models from model year 1937, it looks to me like they did. If so that opens more options for finding a parts radio. Thanks again, BOBC

Hi Bob,

I don't claim to be any expert on radio values, but in my opinion if your 37-620CS is in any decent condition and you got it for $90 then you made a great deal.

Regarding the trim ring, what you want is Philco part no. 28-3967 which was indeed used on quite a few other 1937 models. I have original Philco Service Data for all the 1937 models (as do Ron and Chuck) and when I get the chance I will try to skim skim through the various parts lists and give you a list of other models using this same ring. Or if you have your eye on any particular parts chassis, let us know and we can verify whether the ring is the same.

By the way, in 1937 Philco listed replacement ring 28-3967 at a price of 35 cents. Most likely you will pay a little more than that nowadays.

Poston