Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another Model 16 Question

After getting good answers for my previuos Model 16 question, I have a followup. I decided to do it right and replace all the innards of the bakelite box capacitors, and that is going well,except fo the mess. Anyhow, how does one redo the the filter electrolitics? The big copper cans seem to be well-sealed with no obvious access to inside. . If one is to maintain the original look of the unit, all I see is to saw off the very bottom of the cans, clean out out the old filter, put the new filter in and reinstall. Is there a better way to do this which is less destructive ? Thanks for all the help. Dick Bidwell,VA

One method would be to just use a modern axial cap under the chassis and wire it in place of the existing cap. Don't wire it across in parallel - you don't want the old cap part of the circuit any more.

Another option for rebuilding the wet aluminum can capacitors can be found on Chuck's website. Either way you'll still have the original appearance on top, but if you rebuild the cap, you'll have an original appearance on both sides of the chassis.

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip46.htm

Good luck!

Bill

Sent from my Pentium II on the AT&T Dial Network