Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lubricant On Tuning Condenser

I've just finished the cleaning on my Philco 90 tuning condenser. Where (if anywhere at all) do you apply lubricant? Well I tried to attach a pic here but I guess with the new changes to the forum I'm doing something wrong. So if there's no pic... Sorry! Okay, I guess you have to click on the link to see the pic.
http://speakeasyradios.com/yahoo_site_ad...47_std.jpg
Pepper[/size]

"It's Nice To Be Nice To The Nice"
Major Frank Burns Mash 4077th

(03-22-2012, 04:35 PM)Pepperoni Wrote:  Well I tried to attach a pic here but I guess with the new changes to the forum I'm doing something wrong. So if there's no pic... Sorry!

Sigh...

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=4371

Place [img] and [/img] brackets around the URL of the photo.

And you instantly get:

[Image: http://speakeasyradios.com/yahoo_site_ad...47_std.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Any lithium white grease.

I bought mine in an automotive store.

I applied it in two places where the shaft actually goes in the stator and is held by those two metal spring clips.
Put some both where the shaft rubs against the stator AND where it rubs against the metal springs.

Both at the front and the back.
There are no other friction points.

You will feel the difference right away.

Thanks Ron! I didn't know I had to add the syntax myself. Guess I'm used to "that other" forum where I just copy it from my web site and paste it into the body of the post and hit the "Img" button and it places the syntax for you. But now I know. Thanks again!

Sounds great on the lube morzh but there are three other friction points. Clips that are to the right of each gang but you can only see two in the pic Ron so kindly fixed for me. They are half clips and they do apply pressure to the mainshaft. Should a touch of grease be placed here also?

Pepper

The grease worked great. Thank you! I did put a small amount on the three spring loaded parts on each gang and that really made the mechanism a lot quieter.

Ron, on the symbols before and after the address of a picture is it [img] at the beginning and [/img] at the end. In your reply you have the "/" added before "img" at the end. Wanted to make sure this was correct or does a "/" belong at the front of the address also?

Thanks,
Pepper

(03-23-2012, 10:58 AM)Pepperoni Wrote:  is it [img] at the beginning and [/img] at the end.

Yes. Just like that. Simplistic explanation: The initial img tag tells browsers to display an image, and the /img tag tells browsers that the image file has ended.

The slash (/) must appear before the letters img at the end of the image address (URL), but not before the image address.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(03-22-2012, 10:41 PM)Pepperoni Wrote:  Clips that are to the right of each gang but you can only see two in the pic Ron so kindly fixed for me. They are half clips and they do apply pressure to the mainshaft. Should a touch of grease be placed here also?

Pepper

Oh, those I have not seen. I have disassembled and re-assembled the tuning cap from my Philco 20 which is exact same thing only with 3 sections, and I only noticed contact friction at the back and the front. If you see anything that rubs against each other, sure, put just a speck of it there. I only put it in front/back and it became really nice, rotating easily, and with no squealing.

Thanks Ron! Got it.

Yes morzh there are 3 extra friction points on this 4 gang Philco 90 and I did grease them. I could hear them scraping/dragging and after the touch of grease they quieted right down. I've worked on all kinds of radios and to tell the truth this is the first tun. cond. that hasn't had the ball bearings at one end. Thanks!

Pepper

The Philco large tuning caps of 30-s (judging by what I have and what I see in pictures) are very similar (seems like the number of sections varies, but the body is very much the same) and none of those I've seen have any bearing - simply clip pressing shaft against the stator body.

But in the cheap Philco 80, where the cap is different (and small) there are at least some kind of bearing: in the front it looks like a sleeve type, made from brass (or bronze) and in the back it may be even a ball bearing (covered by a cap - need to take it off to see what's inside.)