Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Late 91 police band question.

Hey everyone,
My latest project is a late model 91 cathedral which is turning out to be a bit of a headache! Lot's of previous attempts at repair to undo along with an open shadowmeter coil to rewind mean a ton of fun for meIcon_crazy.
I have a question. Is the old "Police" band on this model even used for anything anymore? This is why I'm asking. When checking over my set I found that the on/off switch no longer works (cheap part, it only lasted 80 yrs!!!!Icon_lol). No problem, I have an 89 parts radio with the same switch! Well, I guess there is a problem! That switch no longer works also!!! So I read in the tech section here that this switch is often bad on this modelIcon_cry! But, good news! There is a workable modern replacement switch available from Mouser electronics along with a wiring diagram! Hooray!!!!!! So, I order said switch and my worries are at an end, right? Well I recieved my switch and upon opening up the box I find out that this switch is made almost entirely out of PLASTIC!!!!!!!!!!! Shaft, Housing and allIcon_wtf!
Now I know that this switch should work just fine and maybe it's just the purist in me talking, but I'm having a real problem convincing myself to install this plastic monstrosity into my 1930's brass and steel technology radio! I know, I know, after it's done it won't be seen, but I will know it's thereIcon_lol!
My thought is if that police band doesn't do anything, I have a regular style on/off switch from an early model 71 chassis That i could use and just bypass that band all together.
As always, any input will be greatly appreciated- even if it means telling me that I'm nuts and to just go ahead and use that (yuck) plastic thing!!!! Thanks!
Kevin

What, do you expect to be able to run down to the local Philco parts distributor in the year 2012 and buy a new in box, off the shelf, part no. 42-1002 on-off and band switch? Those haven't been made for nearly 80 years...so you have to make some compromises if you want to set to work as it did originally.

Sure, you can bypass the "police" band and use it as AM only...however, since the modern AM band is now 540 to 1700 kc, if you modify your 91 so that it only receives the lower band, it only tunes from 540 to 1510 kc. Meaning, you will lose the upper AM band which is on the low end of the set's "police" band.

Personally, I would rather use the ugly plastic switch if it meant making my radio work again. But, to each his own.

One more thing, though. Try some DeoxIT on that old off-on switch before giving up on it; sometimes these can be brought back using DeoxIT where regular "contact cleaner" fails to work.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(03-24-2012, 10:53 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  What, do you expect to be able to run down to the local Philco parts distributor in the year 2012 and buy a new in box, off the shelf, part no. 42-1002 on-off and band switch?

Yes I do!! Icon_lol About 20 years ago, and feeling ornery, I called that 800 number GE had for help with your GE product.

Hello GE what can I help you with today.
me: I need a volume knob for my GE TV

What is the model number?
me:806

What is the rest of the model number?
me: thats it just 806.

there has to be more.
me: I guess in 1946 thats all they needed. Icon_lol

no i didn't get the knob. Icon_sad

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

+2 with respect to the new replacement switch. If it means getting your set working again, use it! I bet the memory of the plastic switch will fade rapidly when you have your radio up again.

Police band not only allows you to get the full modern broadcast band, it also has some interesting shortwave broadcasts on it.

Another option for getting a control would be to post what you need here in the Phorum. A Philco 60 control is not rare, and I would think that there are many model 60 parts chassis out there.

(03-24-2012, 11:34 PM)TA Forbes Wrote:  +2 with respect to the new replacement switch. If it means getting your set working again, use it! I bet the memory of the plastic switch will fade rapidly when you have your radio up again.

Police band not only allows you to get the full modern broadcast band, it also has some interesting shortwave broadcasts on it.

Another option for getting a control would be to post what you need here in the Phorum. A Philco 60 control is not rare, and I would think that there are many model 60 parts chassis out there.

Thanks for the replies guys! Actually, by the time Ron posted his reply I already had the replacement switch wired in! After thinking about it, I pretty much came to the same conclusions, and if bypassing the band affects the set's performance then I don't want that either.
I'm not against making compromises when needed. I was just expecting something a little more substantial, but if it works, it works! I guess there is no escaping our plastic technology.

As long as you don't put a SBC in the Pontiac. There is a limit to compromise you know! Icon_smile

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

The beauty of the SBC engine is it is friendly to installation in non-SBC chassis!!! In fact, in older Pontiacs it is a bolt-in procedure, although the tranny bell housing will not mate to a chev block. Purists: don't ask me how I know this or I would have to tell you about how I installed a 327/300 in my 67 Goat. It was a temporary measure until I got my Pontiac 455 built. Yes, I know.... they came with a 400. That was the point. "Sure, it's a 400. Still wanna run me?"

(03-25-2012, 11:33 PM)LASJayhawk Wrote:  As long as you don't put a SBC in the Pontiac. There is a limit to compromise you know! Icon_smile

No Worries thereIcon_lol I'm strictly stock with my old cars! Actually the avatar is of me and my 1926 Chrysler 70 Royal sedan. 22k miles and in completely original condition! I do also have a 1937 Pontiac touring sedan, hence my username!
Kevin

(03-26-2012, 04:27 PM)TA Forbes Wrote:  The beauty of the SBC engine is it is friendly to installation in non-SBC chassis!!! In fact, in older Pontiacs it is a bolt-in procedure, although the tranny bell housing will not mate to a chev block. Purists: don't ask me how I know this or I would have to tell you about how I installed a 327/300 in my 67 Goat. It was a temporary measure until I got my Pontiac 455 built. Yes, I know.... they came with a 400. That was the point. "Sure, it's a 400. Still wanna run me?"

It's a bit of topic but I always figured that the Pontiac 455 was a bit of a slug since it's a stroker and most were smogged out. I heard the 400 is good choice, a bored out 389 basically, not too hard to find either since they were used in a lot of land barges like the Catalinas and Bonnevilles. I thought you had to change the location of the engine mounts to fit a chebby engine in a Pontiac?
Regards
Arran

With regards to the power switch on the Philco 91 control, I've often found that when it comes to power switches they often used the same type on several different controls in different makes and models. So if you can't repair the original by cleaning it out or what not you can often salvage one from another control, or sometimes locate a NOS one, and replace the switch and leave the rest of the original control in place.
Regards
Arran