Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 640 Color Question

I recently acquired a Philco 640. All the veneer is tight but the finish flaked off badly. I was wondering what the correct color scheme was for this model. Can anyone give me any recommendations?

Thanks,
Geoff

Ron is the final word for this, but I used extra dark walnut ultra classic toner for the top/sides/pillars/base moulding and medium walnut for the face. I use ultra classic because it is dye based color and the wood will show better.

I have also been experimenting with universal walnut and dark van dyke walnut for the dark portions of some Philco and other sets.

I concur with TA. Extra Dark Walnut for the top, sides, front trim and bottom molding; Medium Walnut on the front panel.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thaks Ron! What about finish level? Meaning, I know on some models certain areas were a high gloss and other areas were semi-gloss or satin. Any tips on the 640???

Thanks,
Geoff

Also, should the darker section on the top and sides be opaque or should you be able to see the grain through it? I've seen some refinished ones that seemed to be opaque. The original examples I've seen so far have so much flaking it's hard to tell. My 640B has a decent finish on the front but the top and sides are flaking too horribly to tell what was originally there.

Thanks,
Geoff

Opaque I'm pretty sure. The M101-XXX type Mohawk toners are pigment rather than the transparent dye type and will quickly cover over the grain.
I used Deft gloss lacquer on mine, but haven't done the final rub out yet. I'm still on the fence about gloss versus semi-gloss.

Here's the thread on my 643: http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...592&page=3

Wow!!! You did a great job on refinishing your set. Well, it looks like all my questions have been answered. Thanks everyone!!!

- Geoff

I prefer satin vice gloss.

With respect to the opaque issue, I prefer to verrry lightly sand each coat of ultra classic toner with 0000 steel wool. Then re-spray.

You get a better dark finish that still has the grain visable.

The reason I like the ultra classic toner is that it is dye based and allows the wood grain to be seen. BUT in cases where I want better coverage, like where there is a repair, the pigment based Tone Finish toners are better.

Thanks!!!