Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Busnesses or people who restore cabinets

Well,

I am old enough to recognize my shortcomings.
I was never good with woodworking.
And (maybe because I had not tried that, due to whatever...lack of proper space is one of the lame excuses I could think of) I never got myself to derive any excitement from the cabinet restoration.

However I have three radios (two of which, both Philcos, I restored electrically, so they work) that will need some cabinet work done on them.

I am in Jackson NJ, so it is somewhat middle Jersey, slightly favoring South.

Does anyone know any good reputable business that is capable of radio cabinetry work (considering veneers matching, etc) around here?

I tried calling few businesses, but the mostly strip the whole thing and fully re-finish, and I have decent original finish on mine, and I'd like to keep it.

Mike.

What you describe is fairly typical, most so called "professional" refinishers are not professional at all, just "strip 'N" spray" outfits, sometimes without the spray part and sometimes not properly stripped either. At one time furniture finishing was considered a proper trade, my grandfather was one, where they could repair and touch up an original finish as well as completly refinishing, like repairing cigarette burns and water stains. Unfortunately for me he died when I was young, and had a few strokes before that, so all of that knowledge and experience was gone.
Regards
Arran

Kenny Richmond in Louisiana is about as good as anyone but he is backed way up in his work and is choosy who he does work for.

You might want to check out his web site and contact him from there.

That's my CC-18 Midwest on the front page of his web site

http://richmonddesignsinc.com/

+1 on Kenny Richmond - to paraphrase the old Falstaff slogan, "The Choicest Products of the Refinisher's Art." Icon_thumbup

I have some refinishers listed on my website. None in NJ though.
http://www.philcoradio.com/resourceb.htm#e

There are others, of course. But be careful - some so-called "cabinet refinishers" may just be legends in their own minds. Ask to see examples of their work before choosing anyone...and ask for references, too.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Not really practical to send something from Jersey to Mr. Richmond, especially something like a console. There is an antique radio club in New Jersey though, perhaps they may know someone or have someone in their group that has a knack for such things? You could try a hand at it yourself on something like a 1940s wood set where you won't ruin anything, Bob Andersen seems to have a good technique down for this, including some You Tube videos.
Regards
Arran

Well,

It's a good advice, and I may eventually try to do the Junior, Philco 80 - it is not as complex, and the finish is much simpler. No diagonal veneer layers as it is on the Console 20 Baby Grand.
Have to learn the trade though.

The closest I ever got to this is staining and polyurethaning my wood door in the kitchen. This is about it.

And sending cabinets to Louisiana is a bit too much...even if it is to Kenny Richmond himself Icon_smile

It is a pretty daunting task...I had a guy working with me who was into the woodworking; I asked him and he said, that, no, he would not take on this - all this veneer stuff is too much and time-consuming,
and very tedious.

I need to go into the apprenticeship to someone.
Will work for food. Icon_biggrin

Shouldn't that be "Will work for Philcos"?

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

Guys..... Mr Richmond...... really???

Steve Davis: the answer to this thread. We are ready when you are, Steve.

Yes, of course, but I didn't mention Steve earlier only because he isn't taking in work right now. Soon, however...I think several of us will keep you busy, Steve, with cabinet replications, cabinet trim replications, refinishing, etc. ... Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

But no one has answered the OP's question of a refinisher in Noo Joisey.

Mike (morzh), have you tried the New Jersey Antique Radio Club? Maybe they can direct you to someone local?
http://www.njarc.org/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN