Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Silvertone 1968

Some of you know that I also collect the Silvertone "green dial" sets. Got a good one today, a model 1968 console. It is a 12 tube, four band set with variable IF like the 1905/55/65 sets and has four 45 tubes for the output.

I already have it apart and must obtain a schematic for it before I begin it's renovation.

Had one globe 45, which was the only bad 45. Figures.

Also at some time in the past it had been converted from a 5Z3 to a 5U4 rectifier, which is fine. Oh yes, the 5U4 was dead too, probably because I dropped the _____ (bad word) thing and it broke.

That is an imprressive set! I like the grille work, actually the whole setIcon_thumbup
I hate when I drop a tubeIcon_sad

Gene

It sounds like someone was picking through their junk box for spares at one time if it had a globe/balloon style #45 in there. If it's the set I'm thinking of there was also a Lafayette version with six #45s in it, ST style though since it's from 1935-36 or so. I also heard that there was something different about the #45 tubes used in Silvertones verses the ones typically found in something like a Philco 96 or a Majestic model 90, fillament current I think. It was probably built by Colonial Radio, or Continental/RPC/Admiral, I think that Sears bought out Colonial and had them build most of their sets, Stewart Warner built some of the others.
Regards
Arran

It is a 12 tube set with four-45s for the output, driven by a 6C5 AF and a 6C5 inverter. I just got it working last night at midnight, and all I can say is that it is very impressive. It has the variable IF combined with a low-note pot control and an on/off sensitivity control.

Not sure about Sears actually buying out Colonial, but they did work very closely with them. Yuiry, at his Silvertone web site, would have the answer. He is a Silvertone expert. If any of you have not been there, I strongly recommend it.

The fellow that had it was not a radio guy, so I think the 45 globe was just there. The set will play if one 45 is inop, as they are arranged in a parallel push-pull arrangement.

Silvertone 45A tubes put out more power than the regular 45. The ones that I have seen are also larger than a 45.

I finally found a picture of one of these and I like it! I have the smaller, 8 tube sibling to this radio in my collection and it has always been a nice set. Odd that I rarely run across Silvertone radios around here.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Yes, I have a 1965 model too, if that is the one that you are talking about. They are a good 8 tube set! They have the same chassis as the 1905/1955 sets.