Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The "Other" Philco Grandfather clock

Hi,

Somewhere in the past I have seen a photo of a very Deco-looking Philco grandfather clock. The styling is different to the model 570, with more square cut lines not unlike the Westinghouse and Crosley sky-scraper models.

I notice that this clock does not appear in Ron's updated gallery. I thought I had originally seen it in Ron's book but searching repeatedly through the pages for it now I do not find it. Nor does it appear in the RadioAttic Archives. So where did I see the photo?? I'm starting to think I may have dreamed it up! Was it in the original PhilcoRadio gallery?

It seems I've been looking for one of these forever and I've never seen one turn up on Ebay or at a show.

So: do these exist? Where might I have seen the photo of one & was it genuine?

Paul

Is this the model? Model 551 Colonial Clock Radio?

[Image: http://www.philcorepairbench.com/images/551colonial.jpg]

Hi Chuck,

No, that's not the one. It's a grandfather style about as tall as the 570.

Paul

Hi,

Ok, I found a photo. It's on page 195 of Slusser's 6th edition. Stated as a model 70 & from what I can see of it the escutcheon and knob layout looks correct.

I thought I had seen a photo of this way before the 6th edition appeared, but maybe not.

Not sure if I should make & post a scan of it or not (copyright reasons)...

Paul

No prob. Go ahead and add the pic to your post so we can all see it. Could be a cabinet maker variation when the 570 cabinet design was farmed out to more than one cabinet company, which may be the case.

Or it's a custom job for a wealthy client? Ron may have more pertinent info.

Hi,

Here's the scan:-

[Image: http://www.tuberadioland.com/myphotos/philco70_clk.jpg]

Qualities not the best, but it's from a small photo in the book right near to the page crease.

Paul

Hi,

By total coiincidence, this just turned up on Ebay (I have no connection with it!):- http://cgi.ebay.com/270046238188

The case is the same as the Philco other than a different chassis and cut-out for the dial face. Perhaps this answers my initial question - it seems that this clock cabinet may have been offered by an after-market cabinet maker for custom installation of selected radio chassis.

A little research does show that the Atlantic Radio Corp of Brooklyn, NY, did offer a colonial style grandfather clock in 1931 (model 31AC - must be the one in the auction). However, I see no evidence that the one in the Philco photo is a retrofit of the Atlantic model, given the different escutcheon and knob layout.

Any thoughts?

By the way, I think the photo hosting in the auction, with selectable resolution, zooming and scan, is very neat.

Paul

Thats a nice looking radio (the ebay link) as well, however the "capasitators" are bad! Icon_biggrin

Hi Paul

All I can add is that the grandfather clock you pictured was not a factory Philco issue.

They only offered the 570 style cabinet, but there is a rare version with a Model 52 chassis inside. That's the only difference.

The set you show looks a lot like one of the Westinghouse Columnaire (sp?) or similar models.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi,

Thanks for the comments Ron and everyone. I guess the timely appearance of the Ebay auction shows this to be an after-market offering made by an independent cabinet maker (who also supplied Atlantic Radio Corp). I'll be looking for "the other Philco grandfather clock" no more...

Paul