Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 84

Some years ago I removed all the components from this radio to repaint the chassis and I took notes as I went. I repainted it but didn't like the color so I set it aside until I found one I liked. Fast forward to today.

Found the paint and after spraying it I started to reinstall the parts. Now I have a problem matching up the power transformer to the schematic. Schematic shows a CT for the filament winding that does not exist on my transformer, even though its the original, part number 32-7180.

I thought it might be tied internally to the CT of the HV winding since the schematic shows it that way but its not. Also, the schematic shows all the filaments as not being connected to the chassis yet the 42 tube pin 1 has a factory connection from pin 1 to the socket rivot. Is , or was, there a factory change that I don't know about?

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013875.pdf

From the Philco Changes in Models, Corrected to January 1, 1935:

Model 84

2-1-34, Run 2. Center Tap Lead (black-yellow tracer) from filament winding of power transformer is eliminated; one side of filaments and pilot lamp are grounded.

This, and many more production changes, is available as a free download to Phorum members only.

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...hp?tid=215

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(04-03-2012, 03:18 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  From the Philco Changes in Models, Corrected to January 1, 1935:

Model 84

2-1-34, Run 2. Center Tap Lead (black-yellow tracer) from filament winding of power transformer is eliminated; one side of filaments and pilot lamp are grounded.

This, and many more production changes, is available as a free download to Phorum members only.

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...hp?tid=215

Thanks for the info Ron. Unfortunatly my radio did not have the pilot light in it, as its not in my box of parts so someone must have discarded it. Any idea of what lamp was used and where it attached to? Are these changes documented in Riders?

Thanks for the info Ron. Unfortunatly my radio did not have the pilot light in it, as its not in my box of parts so someone must have discarded it. Any idea of what lamp was used and where it attached to? Are these changes documented in Riders?
Jim,
For what it's worth, my late 84 has a screw mount 46 in it; 6-8v filament, .25 amp. Connected to the heater pin on the power tube (6F6). Don't imagine your's would be too different. Just what mine has.
Art Hoch

(04-03-2012, 07:10 PM)Art Hoch Wrote:  Thanks for the info Ron. Unfortunatly my radio did not have the pilot light in it, as its not in my box of parts so someone must have discarded it. Any idea of what lamp was used and where it attached to? Are these changes documented in Riders?
Jim,
For what it's worth, my late 84 has a screw mount 46 in it; 6-8v filament, .25 amp. Connected to the heater pin on the power tube (6F6). Don't imagine your's would be too different. Just what mine has.
Art Hoch

Thanks Art. Since mine is the earlier version, I'll find an appropriate socket and connect it to my 42 tube.

(04-03-2012, 07:10 PM)Art Hoch Wrote:  Jim,
For what it's worth, my late 84 has a screw mount 46 in it; 6-8v filament, .25 amp.

+1 what Art said. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(04-03-2012, 08:31 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  
(04-03-2012, 07:10 PM)Art Hoch Wrote:  Jim,
For what it's worth, my late 84 has a screw mount 46 in it; 6-8v filament, .25 amp.

+1 what Art said. Icon_smile

So where does the socket physically mount to?

So where does the socket physically mount to?
Mounts on a bracket bolted to the variable capacitor housing. See your PM.

Art

(04-05-2012, 08:49 PM)Art Hoch Wrote:  So where does the socket physically mount to?

Art

Thanks Art for the picture. Now , heres another question. The primary on my antenna coil has suffered the green disease and is open. When rewinding it how critical is it to keep the windings next to each other? Its only 20 wraps so shouldn't take long to do but I don't want to do it haphazardly.

(04-07-2012, 12:09 PM)Jim Dutridge Wrote:  
(04-05-2012, 08:49 PM)Art Hoch Wrote:  So where does the socket physically mount to?

Art

Thanks Art for the picture. Now , heres another question. The primary on my antenna coil has suffered the green disease and is open. When rewinding it how critical is it to keep the windings next to each other? Its only 20 wraps so shouldn't take long to do but I don't want to do it haphazardly.

20 nice neat turns isn't hard. It's not really all that critical.
Terry

Got the coil rewound. Not the prettiest but it should do. I read just about 7 ohms across it. Does this sound reasonable? The secondary reads only 6 ohms and has many more turns.

Well now I'm bummed. The oscillator coil has both windings open. This will take some patience.

(04-08-2012, 09:48 AM)Jim Dutridge Wrote:  Got the coil rewound. Not the prettiest but it should do. I read just about 7 ohms across it. Does this sound reasonable? The secondary reads only 6 ohms and has many more turns.

Not all that critical as I said.
terry

(04-08-2012, 10:08 AM)Jim Dutridge Wrote:  Well now I'm bummed. The oscillator coil has both windings open. This will take some patience.

Are you sure? You know one of the lugs is a dummy. Use your ohm meter with one lead connected to the bracket, the other touch to the lugs. If the coils are good should show resistance on two lugs. If it show resistance on one probably the feedback winding is the open one. Never seen one with both open. Is a first time for everything.
Terry

(04-08-2012, 03:58 PM)7estatdef Wrote:  
(04-08-2012, 10:08 AM)Jim Dutridge Wrote:  Well now I'm bummed. The oscillator coil has both windings open. This will take some patience.

Are you sure? You know one of the lugs is a dummy. Use your ohm meter with one lead connected to the bracket, the other touch to the lugs. If the coils are good should show resistance on two lugs. If it show resistance on one probably the feedback winding is the open one. Never seen one with both open. Is a first time for everything.
Terry

Yep, both coils read open to the common lug. I unwound them and both had the dreaded green disease. Primary is a 17 turn winding while the secondary is a 93 turn winding. The open in the secondary was about 60 turns in.