Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Shipping Your Newly Purchased Set

Since reviving my interest in console radios I haven't had the best luck shipping. One was hand delivered no charge--the best of all worlds when skillfully done. One was picked up for restoration by my restorer who drove about 500 miles both ways and that cost me $350.00 (ouch). I have two more coming and am worried as to how to proceed along with being wary of cost. Several people have told me UPS "packs everything the same" with no concern for specific needs of radios (like trying to protect open speakers) and their packaging prices are high and so are the delivery costs. Greyhound apparently is the cheapest (a radio from PA to NC of 90 lbs would cost $85.00. But they don't pack, that has to be done beforehand. Some rave about the quick service (you have to drive to your nearest terminal and get it yourself) and quality, but a couple feel they have damaged radios more than average. Also, they have a 100lb. limit. I'm told Fedex is one of the better carriers that will box and deliver a radio safely. Freghters and Craters is another service but I have heard nothing about them.

So, which method would you use to transport your prized radio--whether "as is" or restored?

I have had pretty good luck with Greyhound, both in price and in time it takes to go from shipper to reciever.

USPS priority mail is a decent compromise, as it is fairly quick and this lessens the amount of handling and therefore the opportunities for damage. But they will not allow oversized shipments.

FEDEX and UPS ground service are pretty good IF shipper and reciever are located in the same area served by their regional truck hub sort. If so, you get next day service at ground rates. This again lessens the amount of handling.

Parcel Post is cheapest, but the shipment is exposed to a lot of handling. Same for FEDEX and UPS ground if shipper and reciever are distant from each other.

MOST IMPORTANT THING is that the shipment is WELL PACKED. For a console, this is difficult due to the size limitations of some companies and the prohibitive cost of others. For smaller radios, positioning or the radio, use of padding that won't shift, and double boxing all serve to minimize the chance that the radio will be damaged.

For me, I always assume that the shipment will be dropped or at the bottom of a palletized stack of boxes, and pack accordingly.

The bus is best, most courier companies and the post office have size and weight limits lower then the Greyhound. Also with the Greyhound once something is loaded on the bus it stays there until it gets to it's destination, unless they change busses which doesn't happen unless you need to get on a ferry or something. If the set goes over the weight limit the chassis and or speaker can be removed and packaged seperately, every few consoles go over 100 pounds fortunately but this will solve that issue for the ones that do.
Regards
Arran