Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RADIO KNOB FUNCTION IDENTIFICATION

Hi Guys! I was looking at photos of sets like my Zenith 12A58 and noticed that none of them have gold lettering for knob function (like on-off, volume, etc.). Were radios released like this or has refinishing caused them to disappear? Or perhaps did some higher end sets leave out lettering? Curious. I know there are some good sources for repro decals. Question: Can these decals be affixed AFTER restoration, that is on top of the finish?

Most earlier Philcos had the knob/switch function listed on the tube location decal. If you put the decal on top of the finish atleast try to cut it as close to the letters as possible because the clear part of the decal will stick out like a piece of scotch tape would.

I think that the first Philcos with knobs function decals may have been the 1937 line of sets, the 1928-36 models did not have them but the 1933-36 models did have the "Philco" block letter decal on the front panel. Some companies had the control function engraved into the knob itself depending on the model and year, Silvertone, Detrola, and Stromberg Carlson used to do this.
Regards
Arran

Only high end Philcos of 1937-38 had decals around the various knobs indicating their function. Beginning in the 1939 season, this practice of applying decals around the various knobs was extended to all but the cheapest models...and even some of the cheaper models have something above the band switch knob, if there is one.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(04-10-2012, 05:01 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Only high end Philcos of 1937-38 had decals around the various knobs indicating their function. Beginning in the 1939 season, this practice of applying decals around the various knobs was extended to all but the cheapest models...and even some of the cheaper models have something above the band switch knob, if there is one.

I'll add to what Ron has said. Philco (and others) usually included a User Instruction sheet describing antenna and ground hookups, how to tune stations and day/night reception issues and almost always included a diagram of the radio front describing the knobs and fuctions.

These are ultra-rare today and were the next thing a new owner would loose or throw away after the packing crate/box. I have been lucky to rescue and preserve a very few of these in my archives.

Chuck

On my Philco 111 there was a cardboard overlay over the controls that listed what the controls were. I believe that this was something included by the factory, and was usually discarded by the owner soon after they brought their set home.

Attached are some photos of it.