Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 6G001Y - starting

Yesterday did full recap/restuff. Forgot to take a picture, but since no resistors were changed and the only modern cap (XY rated) is black, small and is not noticeable, the underbelly looks practically original. Even the cord, old molded type.

Aligned it, IF was really off....not sure if I aligned it back then or just got it playing and put away.
Plays surprisingly well, even from AC.

Ordered the batteries for 4 radios, two 909 and two 985. One 909 will go in this one.
Next one up probably is going to be the 5G500.
Good looking radio, but in need of a new handle. Bought it for $40 in Kutztown at least 3 years ago....maybe 4....

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

WHAT THE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im reading this and find out its an old post....

i read your last post and im like,, huh? ,, keeping the old caps.... im thinking wow this does not sound like something this guy would do,,, then you reveal its a seven year old post.

im kinda laughing actually,,

i tend to pay a lot of attention to your work and a few others because there's always something to learn.

Believe it or not but the radio was working just fine, the main reason I put it back on the bench was the cord. Again, the only really critical cap here is the electrolytic twistlock which I did restuff. The rest is not likely to wreak havoc, and the values are not that critical, the leakage being really important only in C16.

Plus the radio eventually didn't inspire me then.
But eventually....I did the right thing Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Today I received the batteries and put them in the radio. It works.

Warning: the power cord from the Surplus Center which seemed perfectly fine has the plug that is still too large for the back door to fully close. I guess the original is even smaller.