Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 5D610 Speaker Replacement

I have been in the process of restoring a Zenith 5D610 when I accidentally did a major tear to the speaker cone. According to the circuit this set uses a field coil that also doubles as the output transformer. The schematic shows one side of the field coil connected to the plate of the 50L6, the other side is connected to the 20 mfd electrolytic in the power supply.

Can I replace the 4" speaker with a PM type with an audio output transformer?

Sure. but why not repair the tear first and see. So long as the glue doesn't drip down to the center of the speaker (voice coil, you should be OK. Some like rubber cement, others like Elmer's glue, still others like tailor's blue, and there is also speaker surround glue which is also nice. If the gap is nasty, folks have used coffee filter paper, TP, you name it, just let it dry face down overnight.

Best of luck

Or even send it to a place like a Speaker Shop - they can re-cone it.
Did a very good job for me.

(04-16-2012, 03:24 PM)morzh Wrote:  Or even send it to a place like a Speaker Shop - they can re-cone it.
Did a very good job for me.

Why spend $40 reconing a speaker when $.40 worth of glue will do the job? There is a sticky thread on here about repairing speaker cones by a guy named Syl, he uses dollar store glue pens, I've tried that and it works well, I've also tried general purpose contact cement and it works well. However the glue used in glue pens is water based so if you need to coat a large are it is advised to shim between the voice coil and the pole piece to keep the cone from warping out of allignment. Whatever you do don't use sillycone no matter how many times you read it, silicone is for sealing bathtubs and around windows not fixing speakers.
Regards
Arran