Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

howards finish restorer

Hi guy's,
I bought a can of Howards finish restorer and tried it out on my Philco 38-116 console tonight.
Cabinet had your usual scratches and nicks etc.,but the finish was still nice and glossy.
Went over it with the product(walnut color)with some 0000 steel wool and buffed it with a clean rag.
Looks pretty darn good.
Hides the scratches and scuffs really good.
Tomorrow I will put a coat of Howards Feed-N-Wax on it to really shine it up and preserve the finish.
If you have a cabinet that is in pretty good shape,this stuff will make it look decent again for a few hours of scrubbing and polishing.
murf

Hmmmmm!8)

(04-27-2012, 09:45 PM)TA Forbes Wrote:  Hmmmmm!8)

Skeptical?
I was too.
Will try the wax treatment and send a pic of the finished cabinet.
Sure was easier than stripping and re-finishing.
Seems that alot of people prefer the original finish and think the radio is not worth as much all dolled up with a better than new finish.

(04-27-2012, 10:07 PM)murf Wrote:  
(04-27-2012, 09:45 PM)TA Forbes Wrote:  Hmmmmm!8)

Skeptical?
I was too.
Will try the wax treatment and send a pic of the finished cabinet.
Sure was easier than stripping and re-finishing.
Seems that alot of people prefer the original finish and think the radio is not worth as much all dolled up with a better than new finish.

I prefer the original finish if it is close to perfect. Otherwise, prices on E-pay would suggest that a nicely refinished radio is worth more than a rough one.

Tong oil will give the same results. Time will require additional applications as the original finish continues to deteriorate. Also a topical coat such as you are using may penetrate cracks in the finish resulting in streaking as it penetrates the wood under the original finish.

What is better than new anyway?

(04-28-2012, 12:40 AM)Phlogiston Wrote:  I prefer the original finish if it is close to perfect. Otherwise, prices on E-pay would suggest that a nicely refinished radio is worth more than a rough one.

Based on foggys stuff, I would say a badly refinished radio brings the most on ebay! Icon_lol

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

(04-28-2012, 09:41 AM)LASJayhawk Wrote:  
(04-28-2012, 12:40 AM)Phlogiston Wrote:  I prefer the original finish if it is close to perfect. Otherwise, prices on E-pay would suggest that a nicely refinished radio is worth more than a rough one.

Based on foggys stuff, I would say a badly refinished radio brings the most on ebay! Icon_lol

Sad, but this is also true.