Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Leader LSG-11 Rf Generator

Picked it up on ebay, cosmetically nice, so I think maybe it also works. It is 60-70s model, Japanese-built (which is good...is it?) according to Radiomuseum.
I figured, for 39 bucks and free shipping, can't go too wrong.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ohmatsu_lea...tor_l.html

Anyone has experience using one of these?
I guess I will have to start slowly with it.

(05-01-2012, 10:59 AM)morzh Wrote:  Picked it up on ebay, cosmetically nice, so I think maybe it also works. It is 60-70s model, Japanese-built (which is good...is it?) according to Radiomuseum.
I figured, for 39 bucks and free shipping, can't go too wrong.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ohmatsu_lea...tor_l.html

Anyone has experience using one of these?
I guess I will have to start slowly with it.

I'd treat it like an old radio, recap it and check/replace resistors, clean all controls and switches BEFORE firing it up. An inexpensive frequency counter can help you set the output accurately when doing alignments, the dials are usually not all that accurate.

Oh, yeah. I never trust dials - they are for reference only. Icon_smile
Yes I will treat it as an old-ish radio (70s is not too bad; the caps were better and the ones requiring replacement are usually the electrolytic ones; also the resistors were better by that time).

Will be fun!

(We have a Russian saying about a woman who led a worry-free life, who then decided to buy a piglet). Icon_smile
There. Well, maybe intense thinking process and electric shocks delivered in reasonable quantity keep my Altzheimer away Icon_biggrin

(05-01-2012, 03:10 PM)morzh Wrote:  Oh, yeah. I never trust dials - they are for reference only. Icon_smile
Yes I will treat it as an old-ish radio (70s is not too bad; the caps were better and the ones requiring replacement are usually the electrolytic ones; also the resistors were better by that time).

Will be fun!

(We have a Russian saying about a woman who led a worry-free life, who then decided to buy a piglet). Icon_smile
There. Well, maybe intense thinking process and electric shocks delivered in reasonable quantity keep my Altzheimer away Icon_biggrin

OK, I believe it. Why not take the time to install a 3 wire cord and make sure your bench is properly wired. Then use an isolation transformer on all your rouge AA5 sets so you will be around next year to ask more questions.

Thanks man,
Noce to know some people would miss me

You're spot on: Three days ago I ordered that medical grade isol. xfmr.
(although it is my firm belief that if You Know Who wants you dead, no amount of isolation, Y-caps, grounding, GFI, and aspirin will help, and if He wants you around, I knew some folks who ate bacon for breakfast and smoked sigars for supper, and live to be 90+.)
But there's always that little extra help we call "peace of mind" that comes in the form of isolation transformers and "Zentrum" multivitamins.

(05-01-2012, 09:29 PM)morzh Wrote:  Thanks man,
Noce to know some people would miss me

You're spot on: Three days ago I ordered that medical grade isol. xfmr.
(although it is my firm belief that if You Know Who wants you dead, no amount of isolation, Y-caps, grounding, GFI, and aspirin will help, and if He wants you around, I knew some folks who ate bacon for breakfast and smoked sigars for supper, and live to be 90+.)
But there's always that little extra help we call "peace of mind" that comes in the form of isolation transformers and "Zentrum" multivitamins.

Nothing will prevent failure with age. Perhaps we could develop a bacon diode that would send the stock market wild. Seriously an aspirin a day is a good idea, pediatric or regular size, please check with doctor first, cigars are definitely out, butts too, but you know that.

I take 2 baby aspirins a day and a shot of bourbon (the last bottle was Pappy Van Winkle, the good stuff). I really enjoy the 2nd part.

Today I brought the oscillator to work, plugged it in and watched the waveform on the scope (have brand-spanking new Tek with 1GHz bandwidth).
Well, the signal does not look very symmetrical, the lower half looking distorted, and I am not even sure whether it is OK or not (I used to have a brand new transistor oscillator, and the signal looked the same, which I remember puzzled me); I thought it should be pure sine wave. Only on one bad it is a sine wave.

Good news is - on all bands the frequency is absolutely right on the money; what the scale shows, that what the frequency indicated on the scope is. Very accurate.

It uses to miniature tubes, which I am sure are OK, if it generates at 130MHz. Need a sch to look why the asymmetry.

PS. Found the sch. The thing is as simple as falling off a log, or as we say in my language, as steamed turnips.

Will look.