Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

chassis schematic - Which Philco model?

I had just found this before this site went down for 15 minutes. Icon_rolleyes So let's try again.

Here is Paul Pinyot's drawing of the shortwave loop (single turn) which mounts under the top of the cabinet - necessary for shortwave reception.

I wish I had his drawings of the AM loop, but I do not. Sorry.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

OK, Ron. I have a complete 40-180 unrestored in my possession. How difficult would it be to "disassemble" the antenna to make a schematic copy without destroying mine? Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Pretty difficult, actually. I have seen a few of these loop antennas which had the outer covering either coming off, or missing altogether. One of those would be best. The only other alternative would be a good loop, the cover and static shield of which would be destroyed in order to get to the inner windings. I don't recommend it.

The 1940 Philco loops come up for sale on eBay occasionally. Plus, there are purveyors of radio parts such as Wilbur Gilroy in Lake Winola, PA, and others. They are listed HERE.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks! I really didn't want to do it unless it was simple. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Richard -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275080048080

Here is the loop antenna you need. Good luck.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for the antenna info. I am in the bidding on E-BAY and will construct the shortwave loop. As an experiment I connected the RCA "magic loop" antenna I have, and found a combination of connections which greatly improved reception beyond the 50 foot long wire I had connected. Richard