Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2012 Season

Well I feel my "green with envy comming on Icon_sick. That looks very good Ron. You do good work. Did you get to go to Lexington? I was ready to go Friday night but woke up with "bathroom visits" I feel better not but for a while I didnt. Last Thursday I applied the veneer to my 16B cabinet. I used the titebond and the old electric iron method that you described. I am waiting for it to dry to see if it was a success. I did this on Thursday but giving it time to dry. Anyway your cabinet looks good Icon_thumbup
Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

Joe

Hope you're feeling better!

Regarding the Lexington meet, see here:
http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=5398

And thanks, but my cabinet work is amateurish at best. I'm better at the chassis restoration, but then I've had a lot more experience with chassis than with cabinets. I didn't get the grain 100% filled on the 42-761EZ, but it will have to do. The top looks pretty good. I guess I'm going to have to remember to apply 2 or 3 coats of filler from now on, as I put 2 on the top but only 1 on the front and sides.

I'm glad the Constantines grain filler is available again. The stuff stinks, but it works better than anything else I've tried.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

+1Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

Ron, a newbs question on the refinishing. The two tone look with the edges of the trim being very dark or black...is that an original style finish? I have noticed that on a couple of my small table tops, they have the edges very dark or black. However the 1931 Model 90 I'm working on did not appear to have that treatment when I began the stripping process. It is a very attractive set up, but what was the original finish like? The edges of the arch on mine, after one coat of stain are lighter than the rest of the wood. I may try to carefully apply a second coat to the edges that are lighter. The 90's I see on the web that seem to have original finish do not appear to have had the two toned deal going on with the possible exception of the edging on the speaker grill. The sides and front piece came out pretty dark, and the columns came out about medium. I had totally stripped it and applied one coat of a medium walnut stain leaving it on for about a minute before wiping off. Thanks.

Groundhog, I have found it best when toning edges of the arch, to mask everything except the edges. Then tone the edges until you have as close of a match as you can get to the front of the arch. Then remove the mask and tone the entire cabinet a little more.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Re: Veneer repair.

When faced with missing sections of veneer, I usually put a piece of paper over the missing piece and rub with a pencil to create an exact pattern of what I need to cut.
I then cut it, leaving the back edge long, to be finish cut flush with the edge with a razor blade after the glue dries.
Bubbles in the middle of a veneer are easily fixed from your local pharmacy.
Get a syringe from your pharmacist with an 18 or 20 guage needle and fill it with slightly thinned glue, insert the needle with the grain, pointing into the bubbled area and inject as you pull the needle out, spreading the glue under the veneer. Then simply clamp it so the veneer is pressed tightly back to the base wood.