Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2012 Season

Understood. But what I would like to see is someone who knows what they are doing put together a good tutorial on the proper techniques of applying grain filler and removing the excess.

I fail to see how some folks are able to get rid of the CrystaLac excess without leaving a lot of residue, yet some claim to to be able to do this and not need to sand afterwards. I don't see how you can avoid sanding or scraping.

All that having been said, I didn't mention the positive aspects of CrystaLac...and I need to.

Main advantage: Fast drying. You can apply multiple coats of CrystaLac in the time it would take to apply one coat of oil-based grain filler, scrape the excess, wait until the next day for the second coat. In that time you can apply a coat of CrystaLac, remove excess, let dry for an hour or two, scrape or sand (or both), apply a second coat, repeat, apply a third coat, repeat. Next day, do a fourth coat if needed, or spot fill, remove excess. Let dry overnight and apply lacquer the day after.

Secondary advantage: Less toxic fumes. Debbie couldn't stand the fumes of the Constantine's oil-based filler, yet she barely noticed the fumes from the CrystaLac. You guys know that women have ultra-high senses of smell. Icon_lol So this is a definite plus.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2012 Season - by Ron Ramirez - 08-11-2012, 06:51 AM