Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2012 Season

OK folks, here's the story on the other grain fill I bought...Behlens Water-Based Grain Filler.

Good news: Goes on fast, fills with one coat, dries fast, easy to remove the excess by sanding or scraping.
Bad news: The "brown" stuff was more like tan...and it dried to an off-white color! Icon_eek

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum..._00001.jpg]

This is the top of my 42-761EZ.

Off-white grain filler? I don't think so! A thorough scrubbing of the top of the 42-761EZ with acetone and steel wool removed 95% or better of that awful-looking ivory crap, fortunately. (Wear good rubber gloves when using acetone, folks, and do this outdoors with lots of fresh air!)

Steve (Davis), your oil-based Behlens isn't this light, is it? I know yours doesn't turn off-white when it dries!

I think I'll return this crap and ask for a refund. Too bad...if the color was really brown as advertised, this would be great stuff.

Meanwhile...some good news to report...I finished the front panel of the 19B today. Those new Radio Daze PH8 decals sure look good...Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2012 Season - by Ron Ramirez - 08-12-2012, 06:09 PM