Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2012 Season

OK Icon_neutral

I did some online research and discovered that some guys who repair and build guitars use joint compound dyed with Rit dye to fill the grain on the bodies of their guitars! Icon_eek

Anyway...

I finally managed to get the front arch and pilasters on my 19B cabinet filled with CrystaLac. I sprayed medium walnut toner on the cabinet body today. So far, so good. Tomorrow, I plan to mask the cabinet off and spray the trim with Maison Brown Ultra Classic.

The Perfect Brown Ultra Classic is indeed the "perfect" choice for the front panels on these Clyde Shuler Philco cathedral cabinets. Perfect Brown darkens the panels *just enough* for a good contrast, without overdoing it. And the Ultra Classic, having dye instead of pigment, does not hide the grain with multiple coats as does Tone Finish.

I resisted buying Ultra Classic for a long time, fearing I would have the same experience I had with Mohawk's previous dye lacquer product called Ultra Flo. I tried Ultra Flo once on a radio cabinet and it fisheyed badly. On the same cabinet, Tone Finish went on just fine. So I suspected an inferior product in Ultra Flo.

Ultra Classic is nothing like Ultra Flo. Ultra Classic goes on just as smooth as Tone Finish. Plus, as stated above, it does not hide the grain since it is dye-based rather than pigment-based.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2012 Season - by Ron Ramirez - 08-18-2012, 09:13 PM