Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2012 Season

I guess it's time for a progress report. Or, should I say, lack of progress report.

You will recall that I applied stain to the top of the 42-761EZ cabinet, to color the too-light water-based Behlen grain filler. The stain did a great job of making the grain filler look dark, as it should.

However, the grain still was not completely filled, so I applied more CrystaLac.

Big mistake.

Something in the CrystaLac caused the stain I put on top of the cabinet to literally "bloom" and bleed out, leaving the grain looking like out-of-focus photofinish.

Icon_cry Icon_mad Icon_confused Icon_evil Icon_eh Icon_crazy Icon_wtf Icon_thumbdown

I was too disgusted to take any photos.

So, after stripping the cabinet for the third time now - and since it is almost the middle of September - I'm hoisting the white flag of surrender. The 42-761EZ wins (for now). I am retreating until next spring when I shall try again.

I have lots of electronic work to do - for starters, finishing up my 41-616, and then tackling my McMurdo Silver MP VI.

In between, I really, really need to find some more dark walnut oil-based grain filler - or just give up entirely on filling grain. I can't get the "hang" of CrystaLac, and Behlen water-based is too light and unreliable.

That reminds me, I never did try the Timber Mate that I bought. But now, I'm not interested in trying to work on any more cabinets this year - like I said, I've decided to give up for 2012 and try again in spring 2013.

Final tally for 2012 - One freaking cabinet, a 19B. That's all. Better luck next year.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2012 Season - by Ron Ramirez - 09-11-2012, 05:49 PM