Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco secretary radio question

So I p/u one of these at the Kutztown consignment auction, $3. My wife (who works in an office) and I are trying to understand its purpose. Were radios frowned upon at work and this kept it secret (under the desk)? It does go on the floor, right?

[Image: http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z309/...28ccea.jpg]

I just noticed that the volume wheel is called a thumb wheel in the Photo Gallery. So it doesn't sit on the floor?

Hmm, are you sure this isn't an intercom of some sort? If it is a full radio, it is unique in its appearance.

No matter where you go, there you are.

I think it depended on the office as to whether a radio was allowed, some office intercom systems had a radio built in so if radio was a complete no no they wouldn't have existed. As far as I know that Philco model was not part of an intercom system, if it were then there would be a few more controls then just that thumb wheel. I think that the intent was to create a set with a low profile to sit on a desk or table.
Regards
Arran

It's a radio, Jayce Icon_smile

I don't think it was intended to sit on the floor.

That huge thumbwheel served two purposes: one, it is used as a roll-type off-on-volume control; and two, you push down on the roller to switch stations. This set does not have continuous AM tuning. Instead, it has provisions to preset six favorite AM stations. And each time the roller is pressed down, the radio switches through the six presets.

It was a bit of an oddball even then in the 1949 season when it was made, and did not return for 1950.

Edit: Arran posted as I was typing. Icon_smile No, this has nothing to do with any sort of intercom system.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hmm, I think I will have to locate one of these for myself. I do kinda remember seeing one a while back. Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

I would like to add one to my collection too.

After I got this, I did a completed listings check on eBay and it is in the $30 range. So with a crack on the bottom and a missing chunk, my $3 was about right. The thumb wheel is so large and fingers-unfriendly, I thought that it was for a shoe! I also thought that the name implied that it was for under the desk. Does anyone have an advertisement for this?

Hi Dennis,
From what I have heard thru the years was that indeed the set was placed under the secratary's desk, then she would use her foot to control the set. I figure that's why the roller wheel was so large and robust.
I'd say it was designed for foot operation, otherwise why would such a large wheel and pre set stations be used on it? Plus the color wheel inside to light up the jewel showing what station you were tuned to, looking from afar.

On the ones I have, a couple had chipped areas where the top and bottom come together. Can't see it much unless the set is apart. I repaired it anyway.

When you get ready to do the chassis, I can send the servce sheet scan to you.
Take care.

gary rabbitt Wrote:From what I have heard thru the years was that indeed the set was placed under the secratary's desk, then she would use her foot to control the set. I figure that's why the roller wheel was so large and robust.
I'd say it was designed for foot operation, otherwise why would such a large wheel and pre set stations be used on it? Plus the color wheel inside to light up the jewel showing what station you were tuned to, looking from afar.

Gary, where did you hear this? From original Philco information? Or word of mouth?

Sorry, but I need to see some conclusive proof before I will believe this set was made to be placed under a desk.

Which is not to say that some folks might have placed these sets on the floor...but I do not believe that was Philco's intent.

I therefore offer the Court of Philco Opinion the following evidence from a 1949 Philco catalog:

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/.../49901.jpg]

Sure looks like a hand on the control to me, not a foot...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Just a foot with long toes!!!
Terry

Engineering and marketing a completely automatic tuned set seems to have been something that Philco toyed with for a number of years but never actually put into production until this came along. I noticed in Ron's book that there was a console model that Philco promoted in 1939 that was completely push button tuned but nobody has ever found an example of one. However there was a Sparton model that was all pushbutton tuned from 1938 I believe, those have about 8 or more pushbuttons in the front panel and no dial. I guess they figured that if something like this was going to go over that it would be best to try it on an AC/DC set first, obviously it didn't take off since there was no 1950 version and no other model with that feature.
Regards
Arran

Hi Ron,
You're right, I should have clarified that point. It was word of mouth in about 3 cases. First time was in the mid 60s when dad found one of these and was trying to figure it out. Dad wasn't a radio guy but liked to repair all kinds of things. This radio intrigued us all.
He knew a guy that owned a radio/TV shop back in CA, and was the first to give his explanation of how the set was used. Again from word of mouth, he said that he personally knew of a lady that used one set that way. Supposedly, the boss was a "neat freak" and wanted nothing but "necessary" things on the desk. She could have the radio, but not on the desk Icon_smile
You are right, it could have been placed on the floor for use, but wasn't Philco's original intent.
The other times was at a radio swapmeet in CA in the early 80s when I actually started collecting. Perhaps this was just something the guys also heard over the years. One of their comments I remember was that they had to use such a large rolling knob so that the ladies would have no difficulty adjusting or tuning.

The ad is cool, I've never seen that one.
If I ever find somethng documented about it I'll pass it along for sure.
Take care,