Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What wood you do to this 39-45

The back 1/2 inch or so of the veneer is split off the top behind the door on the top. It's 2 pieces of 3 1/2" x 17 1/2" in a mirror image pattern. I'm thinking I would be better off replacing it with 1 7"x 17 1/2" sheet of straight/curly based in part on my lack of skill. And since it is disconnected and or above the surrounding woodwork, I wont have any matching problems per say. Icon_confused:

And how do you tell what kind of walnut it is? It is not carrying a birth certificate or passport. Icon_eek

Attached Files Image(s)

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

In most cases they used some form of French walnut either straight or quarter sawn, sometimes they used stump or burl walnut but not usaully on a top I think that the best thing to do, if it's book matched, would be to cut a straight line parallel to the grain where the veneer splintered off and butt join a new strip (one with a similar colour and grain) along the back side. The Albert Constantine company has a gallery with photos of the various species of veneers they have available, it may help to identify what species was used in the top.
Regards
Arran