Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another 48-482

So I got another 48-482 on e-bay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170833497448

So I get it, and replace the power cord (that had been replaced once before) and do the line filter block since I'm there. tested all the tubes and replaced the 7F8 that was almost dead (note only 2 of the tubes were not Philco branded) cleaned the controls and fired it up on a variac to see what I've got.

Plays great. no hum, but distorts when the volume is cranked up like a coupling cap is leaky. What has me amazed is, other than the power cord, a soldering iron hasn't seen the underside of the chassis in 64 years. NOTHING has ever been worked on but the power cord, and the dang thing still plays on all 3 bands!

yes I know what I should do, but I'm not doing anything till I take pictures, and back them up in 6 places. and then I may just stick a pico fuse in the HV and leave it be, if the filters are still good they may last forever! Icon_lol

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

That's a far better deal then the 48-482 that Foggy was selling, and not just because of the price. Just on the blatent disregard he pays towards the original cabinet finish alone I would hate to think what kind of shortcuts and sloppy work he takes on the electronics, especially on a complex set like this.
I need to work on mine one of these days, the cabinet isn't bad but needs a refinish, the chassis hasn't been messed with too much but has a few rust spots. If I remember correctly my set had a twist lock can type filter condenser, in my experience those things last a long time in radios. I've had a few sets dating back to 1939 that still had the original in place and they still work. One thing that definately can not be trusted are the paper caps, there is just no way around those, moisture gets in and breaks down the wax paper dielectric so they all leak to some degree.
Regards
Arran

Arran, you have 3 twist locks, one mounted to the chassis and 2 in clips underneath the chassis. Icon_smile

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

Agree, the electrolytics are time bombs and can do a lot of damage when they go. Also the coupling and bypass capacitors - no way they aren't leaking.