Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need hlp with old crystal cartridge

I have the philco 46-1201 radio/phono and the cartridge died... I need a replacement cartridge..I'm told that I might need anything from a 1 volt to 4 volt output cartridge?
The cartridge that's on there is a Shure Crystal Pickup Cartridge.... Does any one know what to replace it with?
Any help would be appreciated...

I have been using readily available "power Point" cartridges in my 1201s. They have adequate output and fidality for the cabinet and small speaker in them. You will need to purchase a mount for it also.
The lighter weight is better on records also but you might have to adjust the counter weight spring if it doesn't track heavy enough in the cancel grooves to shut the machine off at record end.
I never had that problem but just making you aware of the possability.

Good Luck

Thanks, I have purchased the Astratic 51-3 and had to put a counter weight on the back of the tone arm to get the tracking pressure around 10 grams..the recommended tracking pressure for this cartridge is 8 grams. Now my only problem is that it's not enough to trigger the mechanism to shut it off.. But that's ok, I open the door and shut it off that way.. This cartridge puts out .5 volts and it's plenty loud..I tried making adjustments so it would shut off but it's just too much for the needle.
But thanks for the reply... I'm learning as I go.
I'm now working on Philco 42-RP1, it's wireless AM transmitter built into the record player.. The problem I'm having with this one, is that it doesn't transmit very loud.. Not sure if it's the nature of the beast or if theres something wrong, in the schematic it says it should transmit 50 ft. But I have to be right on top of the receiving unit.
I recapped it, and it didn't change anything...
Thanks
Jack

Check your other thread.
Terry