Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-145?

Just won this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170847982456?ssP...1497.l2649

I am confused as to what the model # is. It looks like a 40-140 according to Ron's book but it has a back of a 40-145. Has anyone restored one of these?

thanks
Chris

I wish you would have asked about that set before you bid, for one thing the metal bezel that holds the calls station tabs is missing, it also appears that the finish has flaked off the top and the joints between the veneer sheets are opening up, that means possible water damage.
What I could never understand about these sets is the appeal, the chassis are fairly medeocre, 5 or 6 tubes, and the cabinets are rather dull and uninspired compared to other Philco table sets from the same period. At least this one has three bands on it so it isn't too bad, but the cabinets always remind me of an old toaster or a steel bread box.
Regards
Arran

Arran,
I know I took a gamble on this one. It is supposed to be a somewhat rare model. The three bands was what sold me on it. Still confused on what model it actual is? According to Ron's book model 40-145 does not have pushbuttons but a 40-145T does. The case cut outs are from a 40-140T as well as the dial bezel. It looks like a 40-140T on page 128. I hope I didn't get a Frankenstein. I am hoping I can find a bezel to replace the one that is missing. Any ideas who might have one? I missed that because according to the 40-145T picture there is no bezel for the pushbuttons?

thanks

Chris

As Ron would say Go to the Gallery. Tis a 40-145.
Terry

Chris

No worries, it is indeed a 40-145.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1940a.htm#v

Six pushbuttons and three bands. Yes. 40-145T.

The lookalike set that has three bands and no pushbuttons is a 40-140T.

To further complicate things, Philco issued these models in new cabinets at mid-season 1940 (January '40):
40-140T: http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1940c.htm#d
40-145T: http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1940c.htm#e

The Philco Radio Gallery here on my site is more accurate and up-to-date than is that 1993 book, which the publisher slapped new covers on to and issued as a "revised" version in 2006, over my objections. Don't get me started on that subject...

Arran, yes, these are perhaps mediocre sets but I think they are rather appealing, especially the 40-145 with three bands and pushbuttons. At least you and I agree on Brand Z sets. Icon_wink

Edit: Oops, Terry posted as I was writing my reply. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Shoot, I think I let one of these with a good cabinet pass through my hands before the Philco bug fully big. Grrrr! I do like thier looks. My one console is basically a console version of one of these types of table sets. Actually a good performer!

No matter where you go, there you are.

Thanks Ron! I can't wait to get it. Hopefully in one piece. I just found a call station bezel also.

Any known problems with restoring this set?

Chris

Quote:Any known problems with restoring this set?

Yes, rubber covered wiring, same as every other Philco set from 1939-42. But at least the 1940-42 sets did not use rubber wire on the power transformers, but they did in the IF cans and just about everywhere else.
Regards
Arran

Quote:Arran, yes, these are perhaps mediocre sets but I think they are rather appealing, especially the 40-145 with three bands and pushbuttons. At least you and I agree on Brand Z sets. Icon_wink

Ron
What I meant by not understanding the appeal of these sets is the prices Philco models with that style of cabinet seem to go for on fleabay. There isn't anything particularly outstanding about them yet they seem to go for more money then one of the slope front sets from 1939-42, even though the cabinets are not as stylish nor the chassis circuitry as good.
It looks like the prospective radio buyers thought so at the time, the 40-150T and 40-155T handily outsold the 40-140T and 40-145T even though the 40-150T cost $10 more and the 40-155T cost $20 more, according to the production numbers. That being said I like the revised version of the 40-145T from January of 1940 more then the version introduced in June of 1939, even though it has less marquetry, maybe they were trying to boost sales by changing the cabinet?
Regards
Arran

I'm into the "toaster" look.

In fact, as we speak I have the following Phranken projects ongoing:

1. 16B chassis/speaker into a 1940 PT-61

2. 37-670 chassis/speaker into a 39-6C (fyi it wont fit into a 39-7T without filling in the push-button holes)

3. 112 Chassis in a 46-250 bakelite model. This one may be a little tight, so I may opt for it's wooden cousin, the 42-PT7.

Icon_wink

Quote:I'm into the "toaster" look.

In fact, as we speak I have the following Phranken projects ongoing:

1. 16B chassis/speaker into a 1940 PT-61

2. 37-670 chassis/speaker into a 39-6C (fyi it wont fit into a 39-7T without filling in the push-button holes)

3. 112 Chassis in a 46-250 bakelite model. This one may be a little tight, so I may opt for it's wooden cousin, the 42-PT7.

Icon_wink

Don't forget to use genuine meow mix bags in place of the grille cloth in each caes, it gives it that full bodied tone that a second hand velvet Elvis painting just cannot match.
Regards
Arran

Well done!Icon_thumbup