Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

118H shadowmeter resistance

Ok I finally got around to winding the shadowmeter coil and I can't remember and can't find what the heck the resistance is supposed to be. I think it was around 1000 Ohms, but want to be sure. Can someone please confirm this? If it is I need to pull off some wire..I'm at 1900..oops. Thanks for your help.

Glenn

Happily back in Illinois..not.

Should be about 1.1K.
Terry

Terry,
Thanks for the confirmation. Now the bad part unwinding 800 ft of 40 ga. oh well.

Glenn

I just wonder how 1K can become 1.9K, if it is wirewound. Or have I not understood?

If it is a real hassle you could just add a resistor across the coil to lessen it's sensitivity.
Terry

When I was winding it I was thinking "I don't think this much came off this spool, but if I'm short I really don't want to start over" I was shocked when I took a reading and it was a little over 1.9k.
Taking it off won't be too bad just want to wind it on something to save it for another project. I found a little 100 rpm gear motor that has the perfect shaft size for the coil "bobbin". What a monotonous job.

Morzh,
it's not "wirewound" as in a resistor, it is the wire wound coil for the shadow meter vane.
Here is a picture of the coil and shadow meter assembly from Chuck's website.
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/images/smrepair04.jpg

Glenn

Success!!Icon_biggrin

Question, as usual, the original was sealed in a stiff paper wrap and wax. Should I seal this in hot glue, clear nail polish...?? Icon_e_confused any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Glenn

Nail polish has some nasty solvents in it I'd go with the hot glue or candle wax.
Terry