Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mystery Control receiver

Finally got the 50pf caps in and installed still nothing. I made an adapter per Ron's instructions and tried following the instruction for adjusting the control amps frequency for the 41-616 on my 39-55 but I can't get the meter to show any more then 50vac. None of the adjustments on the IF transformer cans made a difference the needle on the meter dosent move at all.

Guess its back to the drawing board, time to check everything against the schematic again.

Im open to any ideas.

-Keith

Had some success this weekend. I was able to get the receiver to respond to my signal generator. Sweeping the frequency makes the 2A4 fire, and the relays trip so that's the good news.

Bad news.

1. When I move the coil of wire Im using as an antenna from my signal generator more the 6 inches away from the secondary coil of the MC it stops responding no matter where the sensitivity control is set.

2. Now when I switch back to broadcast to listen to the radio when I tune the dial the 2A4 fires and trips the relays very rapidly. I have no idea why this started all of the sudden. It's never done this in the past.

Few more hours of pulling my hair out, and if I cant get it to go I'll have to stick it on the shelf for a while to keep myself from turning it into a target practice piece. Icon_twisted

-Keith

Just had a thought.

Is the loop antenna for remote ctl pickup have continuity?
An open loop could cause the problem in #1 above.

Typing out loud....

Chuck

[/u]

I never checked for continuity of the secondary coil. I did inspect it and didn't find any breaks, but I know that doesn't mean its not open someplace. I'll check that tonight.

-Keith

Hi ip
Good call sign Icon_biggrin
Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

I'll bet it's his initials!
de
Terry N3GTE
Call sign was just the luck of the draw
back in 1989.

Yep its my initials. Just got the new call a couple months ago. General class for now going for Extra in the fall.

-Keith

GL OM
DE
N3GTE

I got the receiver working on the radio for the Mystery Control. I set the freq. to 375mhz. I was also able to get one of my Mystery Control remotes working and and radio even responds when the remote is dialed.

Ill post some pics of the remote innards soon showing how I cleaned it and how to dismantle one.

The last problem I am having with the Mystery side of the radio is sensitivity (I think). The only way I can get it to work is by either putting the remote or the coil of wire connected to my signal generator right on top of the secondary coil (Mystery control antenna). If I move it more then 1 or 2 inches away I get nada. I tried fiddling with the cans for a few minutes and that didn't seem to work.

Anyone have any idea's?

Thanks

-Keith

Check the Mystery Control coil windings for continuity, tank and tickler. Also the M.C. antenna in the set for continuty, along with any coils in the MC receiving tube(s).

Faulty/dirty trimmers maybe in set or MC? Have we replaced ALL the resistors in the MC and MC receiving circuitry more than 20% out?

No weak MC battery pack (or cells)? Nice clean contacts on dial mechanism?

Thyratron tube good in set? No mechanical stickiness in solenoid(s) on stepper in radio?

All I can think of so far......

Chuck

All the resistors and caps have been replaced in the receiver and the remote. All of the contacts on in the remote have been cleaned, as well as the contacts in the receiver.

I tried the secondary coil from my untested 39-116 same issue no range. I then hooked up my restored 39-116 chassis and it has the same issue no range using the signal generator.

After some tweaking I was able to get it to work at about a foot away but any further then that the receiver doesn't respond.

-Keith

I'm still stuck on this one. I just cant get the D**n thing to respond to a signal further away then a foot from the secondary coil.

There are three coils that you adjust to set the frequency for the remote you are using. The set I am working on is a Control 5 set which is 355khz. Two of the three coils respond (make a difference) when you adjust them. The one that doesn't seem to make any difference is #74 on the schematic. It is one coil that controls the grid on the 2A4G Thyratron tube. The coil ohms out fine, and I have changed the mica cap out, the wiring has also been replaced for all the coils in the radio.

I have double, triple, even quadruple checked the wiring and I cant find anything wrong. I even have another untouched un-restored 39-55 chassis here to compare things to. All of the caps and resistors have been replaced in the radio. Voltages on all the tubes in the MC section test out fine as do the tubes.

I even tried the antenna from the 39-55 on my 39-116 and it works fine with a remote out to about 6 feet which is as far as I have tried it.

Any and all help is welcome. Few more hours on this thing and I think ill have to give up.

-Keith