Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nobody else wanted it...

So I got it!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1935-Philco-Radi...4ab85f719f
Cabs a little rough but nothing a gallon of glue and a couple sheets of veneer wouldn't fix!!!
Terry
What can I tell you I'm a sucker for these beater sets.

Hi Terry,
You got a very good deal on this. The top will need to be reveneered for sure, you may find that the sides can be saved.
Worst case, the trans and field coil are bad, but you will still come out ahead if you were to repair those.
I would have bought it too if it were local, but lately I have been running out of room. (Due to too many other consoles.)
Good luck.

With regard to the top, it looks like only the middle section is chipped so the two end sections could likley be salvaged. I noticed that there is a chip out of the top of the left side pilaster (curved area) I don't know if that is teh same cut or species as the top but perhaps the top veneer could be used to patch it? I'm not surprised that nobody else wanted it but there is a swan under that ugly duckling to be found if the veneer repairs are carried out the right way. This set is typical of the bargain consoles I find, although it is also dirtier then the last few I picked up.
Regards
Arran

At first thought the knobs are worth what I paid for the set. It was a 2 1/2 hr drive round trip + tolls. The sides are pretty good with some loose edges but all in all still tight. The center center section on the top is shot and the sub is a little loose. I think that piece is walnut and the sides are mahogany. Any way I should have some small pieces to fix that.
The chassis seem to be clean but missing 3 42 tubes and the 80.Speaker is shot but it has the older style with a screwed down cone so if all else is good and the spider is ok reconing is easy on this one. The output transformer has been replaced. Think I will be a fun project but don't know when I'll get to it...
Terry
ps Just got back from picking it up. He also had a Drake TR-22C I got too. (late 60's 2meter fm transceiver 1w out xtal controled)

I would be very surprised if they used mahogany but Ron may be able to tell you for sure if his Philco furniture book gave any details as to what species they used, many companies would list off the species used in their advertising. Usually they either used either all walnut veneer or all mahogany veneer, but would often mix different cuts and species of walnut of mahogany to achieve contrasts. On some Canadian made radio cabinets they would mix Australian Walnut (probably not really a walnut at all) with claro walnut, french walnut, or even a black walnut burl, and sometimes add a strip of quilted or birdseye maple or zebra wood, Rogers cabinets were like this. I have a Canadian G.E JK76 that used what I think is Mahogany as a pair of two inch wide strips down the control panel, most sets didn't do this hence why I decided to fix up this cabinet even though it's a 1941 model.
Regards
Arran

I did go to Mohawk School but I'm no expert at all! Don't know much about all the different types of veneers. I got a 37-620 chairside a while back that the top needs the veneer replaced on it. Don't really know what I need to get to do that job. I guess I should post some good pics on the cabinet Phourm to see what's what.
Terry

Great find, Terry! Definitely worth it. Funny thing, Philco really made some excellent eight-tube sets!

Toms River...my county, down the rte 9.

Closer to you than me. I'm surpized you didn't jump on it but I know your not much of a wood guy.
Terry

Terry, I think you did really good. More often than not, this console would have ended up in a landfill. I'm sure that under your capable hands this radio will live again. Congratulations on the Drake TR-22C find as well. You should write a short history of this radio and how you got it so that, 100 years from now, someone will know how lucky this radio is. Tom

Great find!

Fixed up the battery box on the Tr-22c and thew the switch. Seems like it works but not receiving any signals. So took over to a ham/friends house and sure enough it work just fine. Most of the repeaters around here are PLed so a can't key'em up.
Terry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53710524@N0...hotostream
Flipped the 650X cabinet over and found this. Termites??
Terry

Terry, That's a good project for you.I'm sure you'll have it looking good in no time.Icon_silent Can't wait to see the pictures!

I broke one of my rules and brought in inside to have a closer look. I did a bit of cleaning and bondoed the bottom where it was damaged. A friend tells me it's termites. Blew the dust off of the chassis, cleaned off the tubes and put a few drops of oil on the tuning drive. Cleaned up the dial it was really filthy but cleaned up great with a little OMS. See the problem is I've got this Packard set I need to get done but is one is MUCH more interesting to work on and a bit easier. I've got all the paper caps replaced on the Packard but need to do the filters and they are a bit of a pain, there in metal cans that are kinda hard to get to. Just need to get motivated to do it!!!
Terry