Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-287 console

New to this forum and new to vintage Philco. Recently picked up a 41-287 that worked. Proceeded to recap completely, and radio sounded good so I decided to redo the resistors also. After turn on, radio had sound for a few
seconds and then silence. Looking at the 84 rectifier tube saw the plate turning red and I shut down power. After checking for a obvious short ,and not seeing one from my resistor re-do I am stumped. The input filter cap used was a 10mfd ( 8mfd per the schematic) that was around and not sure of its age. If a new resistor was wired in error, could this cause the rectifier to overload? Any suggestions would be appreciated,so thanks in advance.[/b]

Hi Jeff,
I think I would start looking around my audio section. Possibly checking the primary of the output transformer. Check the field coil for shorts. Does this radio have the dreaded rubber wiring? Possible short to ground in the B+? A heater to cathode short in your 84 tube?Use your meter and start checking your B+ buss for shorts to ground. Could you have possibly read a color code wrong on one the resistors? I'm sure some of the other forum members will have some better ideas.

Hope this helps
Terry

Sounds like a dead short on the B+ line somewhere. I would NOT run the set until you trace out the wiring and the resistor changes you made. You can blow out the power transformer.

Sounds like an error of wiring (see schematic) or improper value as suggested (see parts), a solder blob shorting socket or terminal pins, etc....

Use your VOM to find it - it should be easy to spot.

Found the B+ short to ground that was the problem. I created it with a sloppy solder joint at the 41 output tube, when I was replacing some resistors. The old console is now re-capped & new resistors and is sounding great- no hum,plenty of volume, and amazing station pulling sensitivity. Thanks to Chuck & Terry for your trouble shooting tips.
A 40-130 on the way-next up for restoration. Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Glad to hear you got it working. Icon_biggrin I hate to say it but you are hooked!! It's always fullfilling to get an old radio playing again.

Terry