Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 60 not happy to go back in cabinet!

Seems like the cabinet re-entry process is a touchy process, at least for me with my limited experience. Model 60 was working fine on the outside. Now it is howling and oscillating. Even with tube shields. I am wondering if somehow the 42 tube or the 6A7 tubes are shorting out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This new problem just cropped up.

Crazy. I pulled the 42 and 6A7 and then reinserted. Radio plays. I am wondering about a loose pin contact or something similar. The radio is in the normal position, not on its side or back. Any thoughts on a hit or miss howling, motorboating, oscillating symptoms. Thanks.

Sounds like you should clean up the tube pins and sockets with deoxit, you can sweat the pins on the tubes and add a little bit of solder to be sure, retention the contacts of the socket gently with a pick or needle, let everything dry out, and you should be fine.

One more thing, make sure there is nothing hanging down or sagging that will compress to a short when chassis is upright.