Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-84 Photo Finish Help

I am a restorer of chassis and not the cabinets, what is the recomendation from this forum in regards to refinishing this cabinet, It is solid all over, even the tube layout paper diagram and warranty tag inside. I have researched the Philco pages and read the article from the deceased gentleman concerning the use of a black and white photo copy and then pigmenting the paper to emulate the photo finish. Is there any members out there that has mass produced the photo finish for the 37-84. I believe that I would be better off leaving it in it's current condition than to simply strip and generically finish the front, Please advise,

Greg

Attached Files Image(s)

I think I would strip this one and use a toned laquer. The loss is extensive.

From looks of it, structure is OK, but do see if anything needs to be reinforced or glued first. If there are any suppliers of fauz finish I am unaware of them, market would be pretty small, but someone here might be able to help.

If someone could come up with a decal solution in a few patterns, thier next vacation would be on us!

I've got a 37-33 that the front is good, same cab as the 37-84. Is there a large decal I could photocopy onto? Would be happy to do it for those who need the photofinish restored.
Terry

Hmmm... you know, that just might work!!!!

Cool.

I believe Terry is right. It would work, the new inks used last longer now than past color pictures, I compared the 37-33 to the 37-84 the only differences that I can see are, the 37-33 has a regular wood grain look and the 37-84 has a burl look in the wood grain area (if the dimensions are the same), I will measure my cabinet and post a picture for reference.

I would be happy to use the 37-33 photo copy to restore my finish on my 37-84. If several collectors would remove their chassis and copy many small tombstone and catherdral designs whe could overcome this finishing delima that we Philco collectors are faced with. I am willing to pay to overcome this problem which-in-turn will actually help others complete their restorations.

Greg

Here is a picture of my cabinet for measurement comparision. My hands were a little shakey when I was using paint brush to record the measurements, I am not Rembrandt, sorry

I hope this will help you Terry,

Attached Files Image(s)

Here's a pic of the 37-33. May need to do some minor t/u to make it perfect. I t/u it about 20yrs ago when I got it. One of the concerns is if the lacquer it dissolve to ink and cause it to blur or run.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42774321@N0...hotostream
Terry

Dunno, but most float on decals are ok with lacquer sprays on top. Might want to wait a few days or more before applying a top coat. Just don't have any experience, but want to keep the thread alive.

If I can get a photo copy of the 37-33 I will make multiple copies in satin, gloss and any other finish's and I will apply the copy to a flat piece of wood and practice to evaluate the results before attempting to place the photo copy on the radio. I believe an inkjet copy of the radio would be sufficient to try this project. It just has to be to exact scale, cabinet on face of a scanner such as at Staples or such.

Please advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Well took cab over to the local kinkos and the largest color copy they can make is 11x17" which is about an inch too narrow. Need about 12"x16" to do it in one piece. Do you think two pieces will work for you? It would be lengthwise which is better than widthwise as though the center of the cab there isn't much wood grain just at the top and bottom. What do you think? The other thought I had is I could send it to you in a smaller format like -20percent to get it one sheet and then you could enlarge it when you have found a good process for applying it ect...
Terry

You can make two pictures, one with top to most of the bottom and then the bottom to most of the top, I can splice the two images together.

Greg

Will do.
Terry

Terry,

Got the pictures. I shure do like the thin paper. I believe you have sloved the Faux finish delima. Where did you go to have these pictures made? I would like to make extra copies and practice on smooth panneling. If I can locate a large color scanner I can make master pic's to distribute to other collectors. I mailed a USPS Money order today, you should receive it soon. You have been a tremendous help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you,

Greg

It use to be a Kinko's but think it's some sort of UPS store now. Glad to help out!
Terry